US Visa Fees For Indians
- TATA AIG Team
- Published on :
Interested in travelling to the US? Recently, the US, among many other countries, have tightened their visa policies. Also, depending on your nationality and required travel documents, the US visa fees in India can vary quite a lot. This is why it is essential to understand the US visa fee structure for Indians so that you can make an informed decision on your travelling expenses before you book your flight.
As an Indian citizen, you can opt for different visa types based on your duration of stay and the purpose of your visit. Generally, the most common visa fees people look into are the US B1 B2 visa fees in India which are for people that want to visit the US temporarily for tourism or business.
In this blog, we have provided a comprehensive table listing all the US visa application fees in India. We have also listed the other expenses that need to be paid in relation to your American visa price in India. Keep reading to find out what expenses you must cover on your US trip.
Is a US Visa A Necessity For Indians?
All Indian citizens must hold a valid US visa if they wish to travel or relocate to the US. The only exceptions to this rule are citizens or nationals of countries included under the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP) .
A US visa will allow you to travel to a port of entry — airports or land border crossing — and request permission from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspector to enter the United States.
DHS/CBP inspectors are responsible for admitting travellers to the United States for a specified status and period of time and all immigration matters during your stay within the country.
While a visa does not guarantee entry into the US, it signals to DHS/CBP inspectors that a consular officer at a US Embassy or Consulate has approved your eligibility to seek entry.
US Visa Fees in India: Types of US Visas for Indians
According to US immigration laws, visas can be broadly categorised under two types based on your travel purposes:
- Non-Immigrant Visas: These visas are intended for travellers who are not US citizens or lawful permanent residents of the US. They are offered to temporary visitors, and the type of non-immigrant visa you opt for will depend on the purpose and duration of your visit. Non-Immigrant US visa fees in India can range from ₹15,540 - ₹26,460, depending on your visa type. These are some common non-immigrant visa categories:
Business/Tourist Visa (B): These are valid for up to 10 years, and visitors on B1 B2 visas can stay in the US for a short period (6 months). For the most part, the US tourist visa cost for Indians will cost ₹15,540.
B1 visas are usually for business, while B2 visas are issued for leisure. In most cases, they are combined and issued as one visa: B1/B2 visa. The US B1 B2 visa fees in India costs ₹15,540.
Domestic Employee Visa (B-1): These are for domestic employees who wish to accompany their employer to the US to perform domestic work under their employer in the US. Domestic employee visas cost the same as US visa fees from India for 10 years, i.e. B1/B2 visas.
Work Visa (H, L, O, P, Q): These are for temporary workers looking to enter the US for a fixed period of employment. Each visa type under this category requires the employer to file a petition with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Student Visa (F, M): For students who plan to study in the US. The course and type of school you plan to attend will determine your visa type.
Exchange Visitor Visa (J): These visas are for applicants approved to participate in exchange visitor programs in the United States.
Transit/Crew Member Visas (C, D): Transit (C) visas are for applicants that are in immediate and continuous transit through the United States en route to another country. Crew Member (D) visas are for persons working on board commercial sea vessels or international airlines in the US.
Religious Worker Visa (R-1): These are for temporary religious workers who enter the US to work in religious capacities.
Journalist and Media (I): Media visas are offered for foreign media representatives travelling temporarily to the US. Applicants under this visa category can also include members of the press, radio, film, and print industries.
- Immigrant Visas (K): Applicants who wish to relocate or immigrate to the US must first have a petition approved by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
The petition can be filed by a relative residing in the US or a potential employer at a USCIS office in the United States. The US visa fee payment in India for Immigrant or K visas costs up to ₹22,260.
US Visa Application Fees in India
Other us visa fee payments in india.
Another additional fee to note here is the US visa reciprocity fee. These are additional fees imposed on non-immigrant visas from certain countries that impose fees on U.S. citizens for certain types of visas, the United States will impose a reciprocal fee on citizens of that country.
Since India does not impose any such fees, Indian applicants are not required to pay any reciprocity fees in addition to their US visa application fee in India.
When is the Non-Immigrant US Visa Application Fee in India Not Required?
- Applicants under A, G, C-2, C-3, NATO, and diplomatic visas.
- Applicants under J visas participating in official US Government-sponsored educational and cultural exchange programs.
For replacing machine-readable visas when the original visa was not properly affixed or needs to be reissued by no fault of the applicant .
Applicants who are exempted by international agreement as determined by Visa Services. This includes * members and staff of an observer mission (military personnel) * under the United Nations Headquarters recognised by the UN General Assembly and their immediate families.
Applicants travelling to provide charitable aid and services approved by Visa Services.
US government employees travelling on official business.
A parent, sibling, spouse, or child of a US government employee killed or critically injured in the line of duty who are:
Travelling to attend the employee’s funeral and/or burial.
Travelling to visit during emergency treatment and recovery of the employee.
US Visa Terminologies Explained
Issuing Post Name: This specifies the place or region your visa was issued in.
Passport Number: Your US visa will display your passport number as one of the key details. You must check the passport number printed on your visa and ensure that it matches your current passport number.
Entries: This section specifies your visa entry type. In case of multiple entries, it will state ‘M’; in other instances, it can state a specific number, which is the number of times you are permitted to apply for entry.
Visa Type/Class: Your passport type and visa type will be listed under this section. ‘Class’ here denotes your visa type.
Visa Validity: This is the time between your visa issuance and the visa’s expiration date. Your visa validity indicates the length of time you are allowed to travel to a port of entry in the United States.
Duration of Stay: This is how long you can reside or stay within the country (US). Not to be confused with visa validity.
For example, if your duration of stay is 6 months for a B1/B2 visa valid for 10 years. You will be allowed to stay within the country for 6 months and seek permission for entry for 10 years.
Annotation: Any extra information regarding your visa will be displayed under this section. For example, in the case of a student visa, it will display your SEVIS number and state the name of the institution you are attending.
A visa is an essential travel document that is tied to your passport and issued by a US consulate or embassy. Without it, you will be denied entry into the US. So when applying for your US visa, it is essential to take stock of your required US visa fee payments in India to ensure that you have enough funds to cover your trip.
About Tata AIG:
On the topic of US visa fees in India, a valid overseas travel insurance plan is another vital asset to opt for when travelling to the US. This is because medical costs are sky-high, and navigating the US healthcare system on your own can easily leave you feeling out of your depth.
One way to remedy this is by purchasing our travel insurance policy , which can give you a sense of security as we handle your hospitalisation costs and other mishaps you can run into during your trip.
Our online facilities allow for easy claims on travel insurance policies accompanied by a claims tracking feature to encourage transparency. We also offer 24/7 customer service and a toll-free hotline for US and Canadian travel insurance plans, ensuring that you can always contact us for assistance in case of any emergencies.
Car insurance, health insurance.
- Home Insurance
- General Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
Disclaimer / TnC
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions & inclusions and exclusions mentioned in your policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.
Why senior citizens travel insurance is must?
Going for a vacation. Here are five reasons you need travel insurance
5 Myths of Travel Insurance
Tata aig also offers insurance for the below products, two wheeler insurance.
2008, Tata AIG General Insurance Company Limited, all rights reserved. Registered Office : Peninsula Business Park, Tower A, 15th Floor, G.K.Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai - 400 013, Maharashtra, India. CINNumber : U85110MH2000PLC128425. Registered with IRDA of India Regn. No. 108. Category of Certificate of Registration: General Insurance. Insurance is the subject matter of the solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms and conditions, please read sales brochure / policy wording carefully before concluding a sale. Toll Free Number : 1800 266 7780 / 1800 22 9966 (only for senior citizen policy holders). Email Id – [email protected] .
2008, Tata AIG General Insurance Company Limited, all rights reserved. Registered Office : Peninsula Business Park, Tower A, 15th Floor, G.K.Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai - 400 013, Maharashtra, India. CINNumber : U85110MH2000PLC128425. Registered with IRDA of India Regn. No. 108. Insurance is the subject matter of the solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms and conditions, please read sales brochure / policy wording carefully before concluding a sale. Toll Free Number : 1800 266 7780 / 1800 22 9966 (only for senior citizen policy holders). Email Id – [email protected] .
Visa fee for the USA from India: documents, process and more
Are you interested in traveling to the United States? Did you know that depending on your nationality or travel document requested, there are certain visa fees? It is essential to understand what you need to have to travel to a chosen destination, and with iVisa, you will have answers to all these questions and more.
As an Indian citizen, you can apply for two types of documents. First, we have the DV Lottery Entry Form , or the diversity visa, which allows 50 thousand randomly selected people to obtain a green card or permanent visa. This is clearly a rarely requested document.
On the other hand, we also have the B1/B2 Visa ; this type of visa allows you to enter the country for tourism or business, depending on the traveler's needs. However, like most, iVisa does not process the visa as a document, but the letter of invitation that allows the appointment at the embassy and the necessary advice to arrive prepared to process your visa.
Don't waste your time, and start this process with us! Learn more below about the process and the visa fees.
The B1/B2 Visa for Indian citizens: All you need to know!
As mentioned above, the B1/B2 visa is a travel document that allows you to enter the United States for tourism or business . This is a process that is often tedious, especially when you do not know much of the language and when you are applying for the first time.
That is why iVisa not only allows you to prepare in advance, but we also help you during the process, we give you the best tips, and you will have an expert advisor during the whole process.
What is the B1/B2 Visa, and how is it processed?
The American visa is a travel document that is divided into two categories:
- Category B1 is for business in the country or to participate in business meetings, events, congresses, fairs, or scientific, educational, or professional conventions.
- Category B2 is for people who want to travel for tourism, pleasure, or also for medical treatment.
The American B1/B2 visa is valid for ten years after issuance. This type of visa allows you to stay in the country for periods of up to 180 days Per Entry .
To apply for your visa with iVisa, just follow these steps:
Complete the simplified iVisa form with your personal information here.
Receive support from your iVisa Expert from start to finish to evaluate if you are complying correctly with the process.
Prepare for your in-person interview with our personalized B1/B2 manual.
Attend and get your travel document. From there, you will be ready to travel.
What documents are required to apply for the Visa?
To process the B1/B2 service with iVisa, it is crucial that you, as a visa applicant, submit the following information so that we can help you:
- Valid passport : To process, you must have a valid passport of at least six months. It is also recommended to have a passport with more validity to avoid renewing it and obtaining the B1/B2 visa.
- Photograph of the applicant : You must present a digital photo. We provide a photo service at iVisa too.
- Other information : You will probably be asked about your travel plans, places to stay, if you have visited the country before, etc.
- Email : A valid email address to be in contact with our team and to be able to send you relevant information and documents.
- Methods of payment: You can pay with a credit or debit card.
What are the visa application fees for the B1/B2 Visa?
B1/B2 visa applicants, including children, are required to pay a visa application fee which is non-refundable and non-transferable . This fee is payable whether you successfully obtain a visa and is determined by the type of visa you are applying for.
The most common nonimmigrant visa issuance fee is $160. This includes tourist, business, student, and exchange visas, which, as you can see, will include the B1/B2 visa.
Other nonimmigrant visas like work and religious visas, on the other hand, cost $190. K visas cost $265, and E visas cost $205. The fee always depends on the visa categories.
The required immigrant visa fees can be paid at the Embassy or Consulate in cash. You can pay in U.S. dollars or Indian rupees, or you can pay by bank draft in rupees issued by a domestic or foreign bank.
The bank draft must be made payable to 'The American Embassy, New Delhi', and must be payable in Delhi or payable to 'U.S. Consulate General, Mumbai' and must be payable in Mumbai.
It is important to note that visa fees are non-refundable. So, if you encounter an error with your payment or believe your payment was unsuccessful, wait until you obtain the correct payment information. If you make a second payment, it will not be refunded.
What can I and cannot do with a B1/B2 visa?
Among the activities you are able to do with this travel document are tourism, shopping, purchasing goods or real estate, visiting friends or relatives, taking a short recreational course, participating in fairs, and participating in congresses as a listener or as a speaker but without charge, surgical interventions, consultations with a U.S. doctor, signing contracts, business meetings, and settle an estate.
On the other hand, you will not be able to work, study, reside permanently in the country, obtain a driver's license, or authorize a child to attend school.
You should be aware of this information before processing your travel document.
What are the benefits of applying for the B1/B2 visa with iVisa?
Applying with iVisa brings several benefits that you will not find anywhere else. For example:
- You will have a guaranteed application : We review each of the answers you give in the form and adjust them for a better chance of the government approving it.
- You will have 24/7 support: Usually, 4 out of 10 applicants have their visa applications rejected due to problems filling out the applications. That is why iVisa assigns you an iVisa Expert to guide you.
- We have a simplified form : The original form has approximately 150 confusing and tedious questions. With iVisa, you will only have to answer 80 straightforward, easy-to-understand questions.
- You can save time : With iVisa, you can fill out the form at your own pace, make changes at any time and save your progress. This will not only save you time due to the size of the form but will also allow you to fill it out in your free time, so you don't have to sacrifice work or personal time.
- We will provide you with an educational guide and manual : Once you set out to complete the application, iVisa will provide you with a manual with tips on how to answer the tricky sections. It will also help you with recommendations for the interview at the embassy.
Covid-19 Restrictions on Entry into the United States
Pandemic restrictions are constantly changing, so we recommend you keep up with the latest news. It is important to note that these restrictions only include COVID-19.
To enter the country, travelers must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. There are exceptions to the vaccination schedule, but the immigration officer evaluates these issues.
Traveling to the United States, travelers are no longer required to present a PCR or antigen test with negative results or documentation of Covid-19 recovery before boarding the flight. There will also be no random testing at airports.
Masks are also not required to be worn. However, it is advisable to wear them in enclosed spaces such as public transportation. Remember that the mask rule will depend on the airline you use, as it is governed by the regulations of the country to which they belong.
The United States does not currently have any quarantine requirements.
Do you have more questions about traveling to the USA as an Indian citizen?
If you have any concerns about how to get your travel document, you can always contact our amazing customer support team , available 24/7. Also, you can contact us online or via e-mail at [email protected] .
What are your chances of getting a visa? Find out now!
Israel joins the United States ESTA Visa Waiver program
Schedule and prepare for your B1/B2 Visa interview online
US B1/B2 Visa Renewal for Uzbekistan Citizens: Requirements and Application Online
U.S. Embassy & Consulates in India
Social / search.
Important Service Update Please note that our customer service center has migrated to a new platform. Applicants may now direct any visa-related inquiries to [email protected] . Important Notice: Visa Fee Increase The application fee for visitor and certain other non-immigrant visa categories will increase from $160 to $185, effective June 17, 2023. Similarly, the application fee for certain petition-based nonimmigrant visas for temporary workers (H, L, O, P, Q, and R categories) will increase from $190 to $205. Applicants who paid for their visa application before June 17, 2023 will not be charged any additional fees. For more information click here . Important Notice: Visa Fee Validity All nonimmigrant visa application fee (also known as the MRV fee) payments made on or after October 1, 2022, are valid for 365 days from the date a receipt is issued for payment of the MRV fee. Applicants must schedule an in-person or interview waiver appointment during this 365-day period. Please note applicants must only schedule their in-person or interview waiver appointment within the 365-day period. There is no requirement the interview or VAC appointment must occur during the 365-day period. All receipts for payment of MRV fees issued before October 1, 2022, were extended until September 30, 2023, and remain valid until this date. Important Notice: Interview Waiver Processing Applicants renewing any visa in the same category within 48 months of expiration are eligible for interview waiver. The Department of State has also authorized consular officers to waive the in-person interview requirement for travelers applying for F, H-1, H-3, H-4, non-blanket L, M, O, P, Q, and academic J visas who were previously issued any type of visa, if they are applying for a visa in their country of nationality or residence. This authorization does not apply to applicants who have a previous refusal that was not subsequently waived or overcome. Adjudicating consular officers may request an in-person interview if additional information is required from applicants. Applicants applying through the interview waiver process should allow up to three weeks from the time a passport has been accepted at the Visa Application Center until the passport is delivered or they are notified that the passport is ready for pickup. Note that during this period it will not be possible to withdraw the passport or expedite the processing under any circumstances. For more information see: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/important-announcement-on-waivers-of-the-interview-requirement-for-certain-nonimmigrant-visas.html Vaccination Required for Travel: Noncitizen nonimmigrant air passengers will no longer need to show proof of being fully vaccinated with an accepted COVID-19 vaccine to board a flight to the United States. For more information please see: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/05/01/the-biden-administration-will-end-covid-19-vaccination-requirements-for-federal-employees-contractors-international-travelers-head-start-educators-and-cms-certified-facilities/ As of June 12, 2022, travelers are no longer required to show a negative COVID-19 test result prior to boarding a U.S.-bound flight. Interview Waiver Appointments : Consular sections across India are now accepting a limited number of drop box applications for renewals of H, L, C1/D, O, I, F, M, and J visas at our Visa Application Centers. Please visit our website to determine whether you are eligible for drop box processing and schedule an appointment for document drop-off. A list of drop-off locations is available on our website. How to Request an Expedited Appointment: Applicants can request an expedited appointment through our online appointment system at https://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/en/expedited-appointment . You must already have a confirmed interview appointment date in order to request an expedited appointment. If your expedited appointment request is approved, you will be notified with instructions via email. You should not cancel your existing appointment unless you receive a confirmation that your request for an expedited appointment has been approved. If you have not yet received an approval or denial, your request is still under consideration. Expedited appointment slots are very limited. Please note that due to the high volume of requests, we cannot accommodate all travelers prior to their planned travel dates, even if the purpose of travel is time sensitive.
The purpose of your intended travel and other facts will determine what type of visa is required under U.S. immigration law. As a visa applicant, you will need to establish that you meet all requirements to receive the category of visa for which you are applying.
See our Directory of Visa Categories on usvisas.state.gov to determine which visa category might be appropriate for your purpose of travel to the United States.
Immigrant visas, what is a visa.
A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship.
Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel. The Visa section of this website is all about U.S. visas for foreign citizens to travel to the United States.
(Note: U.S. citizens don’t need a U.S. visa for travel, but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit.).
Do you need assistance applying for a visa? Our navigators will guide you to information that you need, and help you ask us for assistance.
- U.S. Embassy New Delhi: https://tinyurl.com/NewDelhiVisasNav
- U.S. Consulate General Mumbai: https://tinyurl.com/MumbaiVisasNav
- U.S. Consulate General Chennai: https://tinyurl.com/ChennaiVisasNav
- U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad: https://tinyurl.com/HyderabadVisasNav
- U.S. Consulate General Kolkata: https://tinyurl.com/KolkataVisasNav
To contact a customer service representative, please visit the GSS Contact Us page for full information or use contact information below:
- E-mail: [email protected] This is the fastest and best way to reach us. We read every email and strive to reply within 3 working days. Occasionally, complicated requests can take longer.
- Telephone: (91-22) 62011000 and 1-703-520-2239 (for all calls from the United States)
Customer Service Statement
The Department of State manages the visa process strictly but fairly in order to best protect the United States. We are committed to the essential openness for which the United States has always been known. Travel to the United States is welcomed and encouraged.
We promise to you, the visa applicant, that:
- We will treat you with dignity and respect, even if we are unable to grant you a visa.
- We will treat you as an individual and your case as unique.
- We will remember that, to you, a visa interview may be a new or intimidating experience and that you may be nervous.
- We will use the limited time available for the interview to get as full a picture as possible of your travel plans and intentions.
- We will use our available resources to fairly assist all applicants to get appointments to allow travel in time for business, study, and other important obligations.
- We will post detailed and accurate information on visa requirements and application procedures on every Embassy and Consulate website.
- We will provide information on non-immigrant appointment waiting times at every Embassy and Consulate posted on http://travel.state.gov .
- We will explain the reason for any visa denial to you.
Furthermore, if you are a:
- Student, we will make every effort to ensure that you get an appointment and, if qualified, a visa in time to start classes.
- Medical and humanitarian emergency traveler, we will expedite processing for those dealing with life threatening emergencies.
- Business traveler, we will establish appropriate mechanisms to facilitate business travel and expedite cases of particular concern to American business.
At the same time, we expect you, the visa applicant, to:
- Plan your travel and visa application as far in advance as possible.
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Be forthcoming about your purpose and plans.
- Prepare for your interview by being able to clearly and concisely describe your intentions.
American Center Chennai to celebrate Halloween
U.s. development finance corporation (dfc) announces its full slate of investments in india.
Footer Disclaimer This is the official website of the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in India. External links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an endorsement of the views or privacy policies contained therein.
Sign In to Digit
- Car Insurance
- Two Wheeler/Bike Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance
- Taxi/Cab Insurance
- Auto Rickshaw Insurance
- Truck Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Super Top-up Health Insurance
- Arogya Sanjeevani Policy
- Corporate Health Insurance
- Health Insurance Portability
- International Travel Insurance
- Shop Insurance
- Home Insurance
- Digit Life Insurance (clicking here will take you to Digit Life Website)
File a Claim
File health claim, file motor claim for garages.
- Check Health Claim Status
- Digit Cashless Garages
- Digit Cashless Hospitals
- Become Digit POSP
Marine Open Certificate Issuance
Grievance redressal procedure, check kyc status.
- Motor Insurance
- Car Insurance 25% OFF
- Taxi/Cab Insurance 15% OFF
- Super Top-Up Health Insurance
- OPD Health Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Flight Delay
Claim status, become an agent.
- हिंदी English
Our WhatsApp number cannot be used for calls. This is a chat only number.
USA Travel Insurance Starting from ₹400
Missed Call Facility
Terms and conditions apply*
Where are you travelling? (Origin must be India)
Most Popular (You can select more than one)
- Tourist Visa for USA from India
All about Tourist Visa for USA from India
The USA is a perfect dream destination to dig into its years old museums, falls, beaches and landscape beauty. If you are planning to unearth the country for its divine food and much more, you can be really close to it.
Plan for a holiday to the USA and bet it will be one of the best decisions of your life. However, before you do so- you will need a tourist visa to enter the USA.
The USA fascinates and proposes several reasons for travelers across the globe to visit the country. Indians at large travel to the U.S for holidays or to visit family and friends living there. Traveling USA for holiday is the idea which no other proposition could beat.
Do Indians need Tourist Visa for USA?
No disparate from the rest of the world, yes Indians definitely need a tourist visa to enter and visit the USA. It is wise that before applying for the visa, one should be sure of the places to visit. As no matter the purpose is just a holiday, there will always be rules to follow.
Is there a Visa on Arrival in the USA for Indian citizens?
No, USA does not give tourist visa on arrival to Indian citizens. Only some parts of South America and North America of the continent allows for a visa on arrival.
Documents required for the USA Tourist Visa
Nobody likes paperwork but, sometimes there’s no escape! Even when the purpose of travel is holiday and visit family or friends, you need a list of verified and mandatory documents that may include:
- Original Passport and it should have six months validity date after arrival in the USA.
- All old passports.
- Digital and Hard Copy of the photograph as per the defined specifications.
- Interview Appointment letter.
- DS160 US Visa Application confirmation page stamped at the Visa Application Center.
- Payment receipt of the fee paid.
Other supporting documents could include:
- Your travel itinerary.
- Bank Statements and other proof of funds.
- TAX and PAN details along with the previous year tax documents.
- Business Card, if any.
But what is the purpose to ask for these documents?
The idea is to fulfil the expectations of both the tourist and the host. In other words, these documents are asked for the purpose to avert any kinds of hassles. It will indicate the :
- Financial Affordability
- Clear intent to return home country, India.
- Criminal History, if any.
USA Tourist Visa Fee for Indian Citizens
The fee is charged depending on the type of USA visa applied for. The USA tourist visa fee for Indian citizens is 11840 (varies as per the USD rates).
How to apply for a USA Tourist Visa?
There is a lot of hype about the US visa application and approval. The process is simple but the whole procedure may take some time. You can apply for a US tourist visa following simple steps.
- Download and fill the Visa Electronic Application Form (DS-160).
- Pay the required visa application fee.
- The candidate can then schedule the interview. Keep a few information handy like your passport number, CGI number of visa fee receipt and the ten (10) digit barcode number mentioned in confirmation page of DS-160
- Last, visit the U.S. Embassy on the date of interview. Do not forget to carry all your original documents printed and verified. Also, take the supporting documents along with.
USA Tourist Visa processing time
Getting a US visa is worth the wait. While you are busy building your own castles in the air, the embassy is on their toes to either approve of or cancel your application. If everything goes fine, embassy will take 3 to 5 days to process the visa and about 10 days for you to receive it.
Should I buy Travel insurance for USA?
Safety is gainful and any accident is painful. The intensity feels weird when we are a thousand miles away from home. USA Travel Insurance policy is for your safety, it will never prevent any mishap to happen. But it will help you manage many unforeseen events. Hence, when you plan to Travel, it is advisable for you to buy a Travel Policy for the duration of travel and stay. Let us understand in what circumstances can the policy be helpful.
- To cover medical expenses. Think of that last meal you took on a food truck. It made you sick and caused food poisoning. You immediately need medical assistance and hospital admission. With your travel policy the medical expenses could be covered.
- In some cases, people meet severe injuries leaving them motionless. There need is a medical evacuation to the safest place which is covered under a travel insurance .
- To cover immediate cancellation costs due to a mishap like a backbone injury. Now obviously anyone cannot travel in such a situation. But still under such instances the huge booking amounts of hotels and cost of tickets are covered under Travel Insurance.
- For the times when you sat in a public place and happened to lose your handbag. The bag had your passport and other valuables needed by you. Without your passport , a lot of things may come to a standstill for you, but don’t worry, a travel insurance could compensate you for that too.
- A travel insurance policy will protect you for the liability incurred due to third party property damage caused by your error or mistake.
- For times when you would want to actively participate in adventure sport activities, your insurance will cover for it in case of any emergencies.
Know more about:
- How to Compare Travel Insurance Online?
- Visa Free Countries for Indian Citizens
Is Travel Insurance Mandatory for Visa?
FAQs about Tourist Visa for USA from India
What should be the minimum validity period for my indian passport to apply for a visa when i am visiting the usa.
The minimum validity for your Indian passport should be at least six months to receive approval for your visa when travelling to the USA. It is counted after the completion of your intended duration of stay in the country.
Will I receive a refund if my visa application for the USA is not approved?
No, the fee paid for visa application to visit the USA is non-refundable, and will not be returned to you irrespective of approval or cancellation of your visa application.
What happens if my tourist visa for the USA is damaged?
If your tourist visa to the USA is damaged, you must reapply for it to receive a new one. However, if it has been issued recently, you will not be required to complete the interview process to receive a new visa in the place of a damaged one.
What are the rules regarding the extension of a US visa for an Indian citizen?
The validity of a USA visa is non-extendable. Thus, once the validity of your visa expires, you need to apply for a new one.
When should I apply for a US visa while planning to visit the country?
While the ideal time taken to process a USA visa for an Indian citizen is 3-5 days, it can extend up to 12 weeks for verification requirements. So, prepare to apply for it at least three months before your planned trip.
Please try one more time!
Travel Insurance for Popular Destinations from India
Travel Insurance for USA from India
Travel Insurance from India to UK
Travel Insurance for Bali from India
Travel Insurance for Canada from India
Travel Insurance for Singapore from India
Travel Insurance for Thailand from India
Travel Insurance for Turkey from India
Travel Insurance for Dubai from India
Travel Insurance for Australia from India
Travel Insurance for Germany from India
Travel Insurance for Malaysia from India
Travel Insurance for Maldives from India
Travel Insurance for Sri Lanka from India
Travel Insurance for France from India
Travel Insurance for Spain from India
Travel Insurance for Ireland from India
Travel Insurance for Switzerland from India
Travel Insurance for Italy from India
Travel Insurance for China from India
Travel Insurance for Japan from India
Travel Insurance for Belgium from India
Travel Insurance for Vietnam from India
Travel Insurance for Philippines from India
Travel Insurance for Great Britain from India
Travel Insurance for Oman from India
Travel Insurance for England from India
Travel Insurance for Serbia from India
Travel Insurance for Jordan from India
Travel Insurance for Egypt from India
Travel Insurance for Kuwait from India
Travel Insurance for South Africa from India
Travel Insurance for Mexico from India
Travel Insurance for Schengen from India
Travel Insurance for Turkey
Travel Insurance for Austria
Travel Insurance for Cuba
Travel Insurance for the Czech Republic
Travel Insurance for Denmark
Travel Insurance for Estonia
Travel Insurance for Ecuador
Travel Insurance for Finland
Travel Insurance for Greece
Travel Insurance for Hungary
Travel Insurance for Iceland
Travel Insurance for Latvia
Travel Insurance for Liechtenstein
Travel Insurance for Lithuania
Travel Insurance for Luxembourg
Travel Insurance for Malta
ravel Insurance for Netherland
Travel Insurance for Norway
Travel Insurance for Poland
Travel Insurance for Portugal
Travel Insurance for Qatar
Travel Insurance for Russia
Travel Insurance for Slovakia
Travel Insurance for Slovenia
Travel Insurance for Sweden
Travel Insurance for Seychelles
Travel Insurance for Mauritius
Travel Insurance for Nepal
Travel Insurance for Bhutan
Travel Insurance for Hong Kong
Travel Insurance for Saudi Arabia
Travel Insurance for Croatia
Get Visa for Popular Countries from India
UK Tourist Visa from India
Bali Visa for Indians
Maldives Visa for Indians
Singapore Tourist Visa for Indians
Canada Tourist Visa from India
Australia Tourist Visa from India
Thailand Visa for Indians
Germany Visa from India
Malaysia Tourist Visa from India
Turkey Visa for Indians
How to get Visa for Sri Lanka from India
How to get Tourist Visa for Dubai
How to apply for France Visa from India
Ireland Tourist Visa from India
Spain Visa from India
How to get Visa for Switzerland from India
How to get Visa for Italy from India
How to Apply for Schengen Visa from India
- Visa Free Countries for Indians
Philippines Visa for Indians
Seychelles Visa for Indians
Vietnam Visa for Indians
- Visa on Arrival for Indians
How to Get Visa for Saudi Arabia from India?
Your policy is subjected to terms and conditions mentioned in your policy schedule and policy wording. Please go through the documents carefully.
The information mentioned here about the countries, visa fees and others is taken from different sources. Digit Insurance is not promoting or recommending anything here. Please verify the same before you book your tickets, apply for a visa, buy a travel policy or make any other decision.
Download International Travel Insurance Policy Wordings
Click here for Policy wordings
- Digit Insurance
Last updated: 2023-11-06
Get our app
- Bus Insurance
- Tractor Insurance
- Commercial Van Insurance
- Passenger Carrying Vehicle Insurance
- Heavy Vehicle Insurance
- Goods Carrying Vehicle Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Third Party Insurance
- E-Rickshaw Insurance
- Electric Car Insurance
- Pay As You Drive
- Electric Bike Insurance
- Types of Motor Insurance
- Comprehensive vs Zero Depreciation
- Comprehensive Health Insurance
- Wellness Benefits
- Diabetes Health Insurance
- Family Floater VS Individual Health Insurance
- Health Insurance for Parents
- Health Insurance Plans for Family
- How to Lower Your Health Insurance Premium
- Indemnity Health Insurance
- Individual Health Insurance
- Health Insurance Premium Calculator
- Health Insurance Tax Benefits
- Health Insurance for Senior Citizen
- Health Insurance in Bangalore
- Corona Health Insurance
- Health Insurance covering Critical Illness
- Family Floater Health Insurance
- Third Party Bike Insurance
- Comprehensive Bike Insurance
- Zero Depreciation Bike Insurance
- NCB in Two Wheeler Insurance
- IDV Value Calculator for Bike
- Cashless Bike Insurance
- Add-on Cover in Bike Insurance
- Bike Insurance Calculator
- Own Damage Bike Insurance
- Comprehensive vs Third Party Bike Insurance
- Compare Bike Insurance
- Royal Enfield Classic Insurance
- Best Scooty in India
- How to Transport a Bike by Train
- Difference between Torque & BHP in Bikes
- Car Insurance Calculator
- Third Party Car Insurance
- Comprehensive Car Insurance
- Zero Depreciation Car Insurance
- NCB in Car Insurance
- IDV Calculator for Car
- Bumper to Bumper Car Insurance
- Own Damage Car Insurance
- Comprehensive vs Third Party Insurance
- Compare Car Insurance
- Find Vehicle Registration Details Online
- CNG Car Insurance
- Own Damage Insurance
- Popular Car Insurance
- Car Segment Guide
- What is RPM in Cars
- Property Insurance
- Fire Insurance
- Burglary Insurance
- Building Insurance
- Office Insurance
- Bharat Griha Raksha Policy
- Bharat Laghu Udyam Suraksha Policy
- Bharat Sookshma Udyam Suraksha Policy
- Home Insurance for Home Loan
- Pet Insurance
- Mobile Insurance
- Home Insurance Premium Calculator
- Top Low-Investment Franchise Businesses in India
- Assessing Officer of Income Tax Department
- Identity Theft & Frauds
- What is Financial Planning
- Management Liability Insurance
- General Liability Insurance
- Fidelity Insurance
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Workmen Compensation Insurance
- Money Insurance Policy
- Sign Board Insurance
- Plate Glass Insurance
- Erection All Risk Insurance
- Contractors' All Risks Insurance
- Directors' and Officers' Liability Insurance
- Marine Cargo Insurance
- Contractors' Plant and Machinery Insurance
- What is Micro-enterprise
- Difference Between Trademark and Patent
- Different Types of Industries
- Machinery Breakdown Insurance
- Non-Creamy Layer Certificate
- Income Tax Calculator
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Calculator
- HRA Exemption Calculator
- BMI Calculator
- Bike Loan EMI Calculator
- EPF Calculator
- Atal Pension Yojana Calculator
- Personal Loan EMI Calculator
- ULIP Calculator
- Vehicle Road Tax Calculator
- Online GST Calculator
- SIP Calculator
- 80D Deduction Calculator
- Human Life Value Calculator
- Ovulation Calculator
- Invoice Generator
- PDF to JPEG Converter
- Rent Receipt Generator
- What is Credit Score
- What is Public Provident Fund
- What is Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Property Tax Guides
- Road Tax Guides
- How to Apply for Reissue of Passport
- Income Tax Slabs in India
- What is Atal Pension Yojana Scheme
- Everything about EPF
- Financial Planning for Women
- Financial Planning for Salaried Employees
- Everything about NPS
- ULIP vs Mutual Funds
- What is Basic Salary
- What is Professional Tax
- Everything about Annuity
- What is UPI Reference Number
- QR Code Guides
- Investment Guides
- Aadhaar Card Guides
- Is KYC Mandatory for Buying Insurance
- Everything about GST
- GST Registration in India
- Types of Insurance
- Types of General Insurance
- Government Holidays in India
- Indian Passport Rank
- PAN Card Guides
- Business Insurance Guides
- Best Business Ideas
- What is Custom Duty
- What is Debenture
- What is Nominal Account
- How to Drive a Car
- PUC Certificate
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
- New Traffic Fines
- Fine for Driving without Helmet
- Types of Driving Licence in India
- Driving Licence in Delhi
- Driving Licence in Bangalore
- Driving Licence in Jaipur
- Bangalore Traffic Fines
- Pune RTO Fine
- RTO Ahmedabad
- RTO Bangalore
- RTO Lucknow
- RTO Chennai
- Reasons for Visa Rejection
- Check UK Visa Application Status
- Schengen Travel Insurance
- Thailand Travel Insurance
- USA Travel Insurance
- Dubai Travel Insurance
- What Is Bangkok Famous For?
- Best Countries to Visit in August
- Best Beaches in the Maldives
- How to Get PR in Australia
- Countries with Easy Work Visa Process
- Foriegn Embassies in India
- Indian Embassies in Foriegn Countries
- Travel Insurance covering Adventure Activities
- Lost Your Passport When Travelling
- Apply for Schengen Visa from India
- Minimise the Cost of Travel Insurance
- How to Get International Driving License
- India Travel Guides
- Student Travel Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Digit Insurance Reviews
- Car Insurance Reviews
- Bike Insurance Reviews
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Reviews
- Travel Insurance Reviews
- Health Insurance Reviews
- Mobile Insurance Reviews
- General Insurance Agent
- Health Insurance Agent
- Motor Insurance Agent
- Everything about DigiLocker
- Bank Branch Locator
- IFSC Code Finder
- Excise Duty on Fuel in India
- Which Fuel is Used in Aeroplane
- Deductions & Exemptions Under the New Tax Regime
- Cooling System in Automobiles
- Importance of Motorcycle Helmets
CIN: U66010PN2016PLC167410, IRDAI Reg. No. 158.
Go Digit General Insurance Limited (formerly known as Oben General Insurance Ltd.) - Registered Office Address - 1 to 6 floors, Ananta One (AR One), Pride Hotel Lane, Narveer Tanaji Wadi, City Survey No.1579, Shivaji Nagar, Pune-411005, Maharashtra | Corporate Office Address - Atlantis, 95, 4th B Cross Road, Koramangala Industrial Layout, 5th Block, Bengaluru-560095, Karnataka | Trade logo of Go Digit General Insurance Ltd. displayed above belongs to Go Digit lnfoworks Services Private Limited and is provided and used by Go Digit General Insurance Ltd. under license.
Caution November 6, 2023
Worldwide caution, update november 6, 2023, information for u.s. citizens in the middle east.
- Travel Advisories |
- Contact Us |
- MyTravelGov |
Find U.S. Embassies & Consulates
Travel.state.gov, congressional liaison, special issuance agency, u.s. passports, international travel, intercountry adoption, international parental child abduction, records and authentications, popular links, travel advisories, mytravelgov, stay connected, legal resources, legal information, info for u.s. law enforcement, replace or certify documents.
Tourism & Visit
Study & Exchange
Other Visa Categories
U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country
Share this page:
Fees for Visa Services
Coming to the United States Temporarily - Nonimmigrant Visa Services Coming to the United States Permanently - Immigrant Services Special Visa Services
This webpage lists visa application fees and other visa related fees collected by Department of State. Note that many immigration-related forms are submitted to the Department of Homeland Security’s United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and not to the Department of State. If the type of information or form you are seeking is not shown here, select USCIS Forms and Fees to go to the USCIS Website to review more.
Coming to the United States Temporarily - Nonimmigrant Visa Services
Nonimmigrant visa application processing fees are tiered, as shown below, based on the visa category for which you are applying.
Notice: Every visa applicant must pay the visa application processing fee for the visa category being applied for, unless the application fee is not required, as listed below .
Description of Service and Fee Amount (All fees = $ in US currency)
Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee (non-refundable) for all categories below
- Non-petition-based nonimmigrant visa (except E): $185.00
Includes (but not limited to), the following visa categories:
*Though petition-based nonimmigrant visas, the processing fee for these visas is $185.00
- Petition based visa categories: $205.00
Includes these visa categories:
- E - Treaty Trader/Investor, Australian Professional Specialty category visa: $315.00
- K – Fiancé(e) or Spouse of U.S. citizen category visa: $265.00
Border crossing card fees
- Border crossing card - age 15 and over (Valid 10 years): $185.00
- Border crossing card - under age 15; for Mexican citizens if parent or guardian has or is applying for a border crossing card (valid 10 years or until the applicant reaches age 15, whichever is sooner): $15.00
- L visa fraud prevention and detection fee - for visa applicant included in L blanket petition (principal applicant only): $500.00
- The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016 (Public Law 114-113) increases fees for certain H-1B and L-1 petitioners. Consular sections collect this fee for blanket L-1 visa applications (principal applicant only) filed by petitioners who employ 50 or more individuals in the United States if more than 50 percent of those individuals are in H-1B or L-1 nonimmigrant status: $4,500.00
When the nonimmigrant visa application processing fee is not required:
- Applicants for A, G, C-2, C-3, NATO, and diplomatic visas (defined in 22 CFR 41.26): No Fee
- Applicants for J visas participating in official U.S. Government-sponsored educational and cultural exchanges: No Fee (See Exchange Visitor Visas for further detailed fee information.)
- Replacement of machine-readable visa when the original visa was not properly affixed or needs to be reissued through no fault of the applicant: No Fee
- Applicants exempted by international agreement as determined by Visa Services, including members and staff of an observer mission to United Nations Headquarters recognized by the UN General Assembly, and their immediate families: No Fee
- Applicants travelling to provide charitable services as determined by Visa Services: No Fee
- U.S. government employees travelling on official business: No Fee
- A parent, sibling, spouse or child of a U.S. government employee killed in the line of duty who is traveling to attend the employee’s funeral and/or burial; or a parent, sibling, spouse, son or daughter of a U.S. government employee critically injured in the line of duty for visitation during emergency treatment and convalescence: No Fee
Nonimmigrant visa issuance fee, including border-crossing cards.
- See the Visa Reciprocity Tables to find out the visa issuance fee amount, if applicable: Fee varies (Reciprocal)
When the nonimmigrant visa issuance fee is not required:
- An official representative of a foreign government or an international or regional organization of which the United States is a member; members and staff of an observer mission to United Nations Headquarters recognized by the UN General Assembly; and applicants for diplomatic visas as defined under item 22(a); and their immediate families: No Fee
- An applicant transiting to and from the United Nations Headquarters: No Fee
- An applicant participating in a U.S. government sponsored program which may include applicant’s dependent spouse and children: No Fee
- An applicant travelling to provide charitable services as determined by Visa Services: No Fee
Other - When a Visa is Not Required - Visa Waiver Program
- Citizens of Visa Waiver Program participating countries, and meeting requirements pay a small fee. Select USCIS fees to learn more.
Coming to the United States Permanently - Immigrant Services
Immigrant visa application processing fees are tiered, as shown below, based on the visa category you apply for.
Notice: Every visa applicant must pay the visa application processing fee for the visa category being applied for.
Filing an Immigrant Visa Petition (When collected by U.S. Embassies and Consulates for USCIS. Fees subject to change.)
Immigrant Visa Application Processing Fees (non-refundable, per person)
Note: Forms and fee amounts are listed for immigration petitions which are submitted to Department of State, either accepted at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad, or within the United States to the National Visa Center or Kentucky Consular Center. Other immigration related forms can only be approved by the Department of Homeland Security's United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). For other fees (relating to forms starting with an "I" select USCIS Forms and Fees for additional information.
Special Visa Services
Note: These fee charts are based on the Code of Federal Regulations - Title 22, Part 22, Sections 22.1 through 22.7.)
A-Z Index Latest News What is a U.S. Visa? Diversity Visa Program Visa Waiver Program Fraud Warning Find a U.S. Embassy or Consulate Straight Facts on U.S. Visas
You are about to leave travel.state.gov for an external website that is not maintained by the U.S. Department of State.
Links to external websites are provided as a convenience and should not be construed as an endorsement by the U.S. Department of State of the views or products contained therein. If you wish to remain on travel.state.gov, click the "cancel" message.
You are about to visit:
- Logout Login
- Adventure Holidays
- Weekend Getaways
- Driving Holidays
- Travel News
Jungle Safari Destinations
Diwali Holiday Destinations
Famous Places In Himalayas
Water Sports Destinations
Famous Temples In Hampi
US visa to get costlier from May 30; tourist and student visas included
Times of India TIMESOFINDIA.COM / TRAVEL NEWS , UNITED STATES / Updated : Apr 14, 2023, 14:38 IST
From May 30, 2023, visa processing fees for visitor and Non-Immigrant Visa applications will increase from INR 13,138 to INR 15,190 ($160-$185) in the United States. Though those who have already paid need not pay the additional c … Read more
From May 30, 2023, visa processing fees for visitor and Non-Immigrant Visa applications will increase from INR 13,138 to INR 15,190 ($160-$185) in the United States. Though those who have already paid need not pay the additional charge, the hike applies to anyone visiting the US for business, travel, study, temporary work, applying for E-category visa, and categories H, L, O, P, Q, and R, with the exact amount depending on exchange rate. Read less
More from Travel News
What remains the same?
Who will feel the hiked fees.
What draws tourists in?
Refrain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks, name calling or inciting hatred against any community. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by marking them offensive . Let's work together to keep the conversation civil.
Comments ( ) Sort: Newest UpVoted Oldest Discussed Down Voted closecomments
SIGN IN WITH
Or post without registration.
Places perfect for your Diwali family holiday TRAVEL TRENDS , INDIA
Famous temples to visit in Hampi
India’s best jungle safari destinations for the season TRAVEL TRENDS , INDIA
Kagga Kamma Lodge in Cape Town makes living in a cave fun!
Where to witness fall colours in USA?
Corbett Museum: A peek into Jim Corbett’s life as a conservationist
Kunchikal: Interesting facts about the tallest waterfall in India
Places perfect for your Diwali family holiday
- 1 US visa to get costlier from May 30; tourist and student visas included
- 2 Kolkata conducts a test run of the country’s first underwater metro!
- 3 Himachal Pradesh to develop Kangra as state’s tourism capital
- 4 Indian Railways announces tour package from Ayodhya to Vaishno Devi
- 5 New York museum announced to return 15 stolen antiquities to India
THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO DESTINATIONS, ITINERARIES, THINGS TO DO, RESTAURANTS, NIGHTLIFE and LOTS MORE!
FOLLOW US ON
Places to visit.
- Places to visit in Bangalore
- Places to visit in Mumbai
- Places to visit in Delhi
- Places to visit in Goa
- Hotels in Goa
- Hotels in Jaipur
- Hotels in Shimla
- Hotels in Mumbai
Things To do
- Things to do in Goa
- Things to do in Mumbai
- Things to do in Bangalore
- Things to do in Delhi
- Visa on arrival for Indians
- Honeymoon Places in india
- Hill Stations in India
- Weekend getaways in Mumbai
- Weather in Delhi
- Weather in Chennai
- Weather in Bangalore
- Weather in Mumbai
- Goa Beaches
- Mumbai Beaches
- Pondicherry Beaches
- Kerala Beaches
- Restaurants in Bangalore
- Restaurants in Chennai
- Restaurants in Pune
- Restaurants in Jaipur
- Hill Station near Delhi
- Winter trip to Ladakh
- Places to visit in Kerala
- Winter Honeymoon Destinations
- UK visa guide for Indians
- Winter Trip to Manali
- Vaishno Devi Yatra
- Special Train Ticket Booking
- HP inter-state Bus
- Honeymoon Destinations India
You have been successfully added to the mailing list of Times of India Travel. To complete the subscription process, kindly open your inbox and click on the confirmation link which has been emailed to you.
Share with friends
Thank You for sharing! Your friend will receive the article link on email mentioned.
- (For more than one recipient, type addresses separated by commas)
From May 30, 2023, visa processing fees for visitor and Non-Immigrant Visa applications will increase from INR 13,138 to INR 15,190 ($160-$185) in the United States. Though those who have already paid...
I accept the Terms & Conditions
Don't know what to do?
Get free Counselling
Why visit the USA?
- Experience the ‘City that Never Sleeps’
- Explore the greens in National Parks
- Have fun at the theme parks
- Gorge on tempting cuisines
Travel to the US for visit & tourism
Visiting friends and family in the US? Looking to travel for tourism or medical purposes? The US B2 visa is ideal for short-term travelers visiting the US for non-business purposes.
Business or tourism visitor visa to the US
The US offers different types of short-visit visas for – business travelers, tourists, and future spouses.
- Those planning a short visit to the US – for business or tourism – might be required to get a US visitor or transit visa.
- The US visa to be applied for will be as per the purpose of visiting the US.
If an individual is engaged to a US citizen and planning to marry and live in the US, their fiancé (e) might be able to petition for a US K-1 visa on their behalf. The K-1 visa allows the visa holder to travel to the US to marry their fiancé (e) within 90 days of arriving. After marriage, they might apply for an adjustment of status to get US Green Card.
Y-Axis has helped thousands of people successfully apply for visas across the World. Our in-depth knowledge of the US visa process makes us the best option for you to file your US B2 visa application.
The B-2 visa is a non-immigrant US visa. The visa gives permission to individuals to enter the US for a short period either for tourism, recreation or for family visits.
B-visa holders can engage in the following activities when they are in the US:
- Come to the country on a holiday
- Visit the various cities in the country
- Visit their friends or family
- Take part in social events conducted by organizations
- Visit the country for medical treatment
- Participate in sports or music events
- Participate in short term courses
US B2 visa details
The US B2 visa is the best way for short term visitors to visit the US. It is typically issued for a period of 6 months. In some cases, it is issued as a multiple-entry visa for a period of up to 10 years. Key details of the B2 visa are:
- You must be able to persuade US consular officials at a US Embassy/Consulate that they are not visiting the country with an intention to become an immigrant of that country
- You must show reasons and evidence that you would definitely return to your home country
- You must book appointments for giving your biometrics (finger scan) and visa interview
- Children below 14 years and adults above 80 years are not required to visit the Consulate/Embassy for an interview and can submit the documents at the visa application centre
- People who already had a US Visit Visa and now applying for renewal can get the visa renewed by booking the visa appointment at visa application centre and submitting the documents in person
Typically the visa is processed within 2-3 days and your passport can either be collected from the VAC centre or couriered to you.
Requirements for USA B2 visitor visa
The documentation required for the B2 visa includes:
- Your passport
- Proof of funds
- Letters supporting your reason of visiting the US
- Adequate insurance coverage
- Details of who you are staying with and where
- Air tickets
- Evidence that you will return to your home country
- Financial documents
- Insurance and other supporting documents
Application process for the B-2 visa
- Submit the Form DS-160
Pay the visa fees
- Schedule the tourist visa interview at the US embassy or consulate
- Complete the B-2 visa document file
Attend the visa interview
If you have applied for the US tourist visa, you will be required to attend a visa interview where you will be asked questions about the purpose of your trip and your travel plans.
Preparing for the visa interview
- Schedule an appointment for your visa interview in the country where you reside: While your interview may be scheduled at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate, it may be more difficult to obtain a visa outside the country where you live permanently.) Search for your country of residence at US Embassy.gov to find the nearest embassy or consulate — and its contact details.
- Check on the wait time: Understand that wait times differ according to the venue, visa category and even season, which is why applying early is crucial.
- Pay the visa application fee which is non-refundable
- Passport valid 6 months after your scheduled departure from the US
- Type DS-160 confirmation page for non-immigrant visa application
- Receipt of Transaction Fee
- One printed photo that satisfies visitor visa requirements
- Prepare for the interview by rehearsing answers for frequently asked questions
Visa interviews are generally required of travelers between the ages of 14-79, Typically, interviews are not required of applicants 13 years of age and younger or 80 years of age and older—through consular officers can choose to interview any visa applicant, regardless of age.
US C1 visa:
You might be traveling to a destination but have to necessarily stop for a layover within the United States. This means that you will have to transit through the US. For this, you will need a C1 visa or the Transit Visa for USA.
A US Transit Visa gives you permission to enter the US and stay for a layover. When your planned flight or ship leaves for your next destination, you will have to leave the US.
The US government issues C1 visas for immediate and continuous transit through the country. This means that if travel to your final destination requires a layover in the US and you will be allowed to stop in the US but will have no other privileges.
The Transit visa allows you to stay in the US only for the approved time because this is not a visa for tourism or business.
Typically, the visa is processed within 5 days. Processing times for any US visa depends on the workload of the US Embassy from where you are applying. If there are more applications, it will take a longer time. Since the C1 visa has a shorter duration, its processing time will be faster compared to other visas.
Requirements for US C1 transit visa
- Completed DS-160 application form.
- Your passport with at least one blank page to be able to affix visa.
- One photograph fulfilling the requirements set by the US authorities.
- Proof of having paid transit visa fees.
- Social media details.
- Proof that you are allowed to enter the country of your final destination.
- Ticket or itinerary to your final destination.
- Letter stating the purpose of your visit to your final destination.
- Proof of having funds to cover your expenses during your transit.
- Proof that you will return to your home or another country after your stay in the US.
- Proof of medical health insurance.
Application Process for the C1 Visa
- Schedule the transit visa interview at the US embassy or consulate
Submit the required documents
What Are the Restrictions of the C1 Visa?
Since the C1 visa does not allow you to stay in the US, there are several restrictions that you will have to follow with the C1 visa, you cannot:
- Stay in the US for more than the designated time.
- Travel or study in the US.
- Find employment in the US.
- Extend the C1 visa.
- Adjust or change the status of the C1 visa.
- Apply for a Green Card with a C1 visa.
- Bring dependents with only one transit visa.
- Dependents cannot travel, work, or study in the US on the C1 visa
How Long Can I Stay in the US with a C1 Visa?
Since transiting is for a short duration, the validity of the C1 visa is short. The visa is valid for a period of a maximum of 29 days or until the date of departure from the US on your ticket, whichever is earlier.
U.S D visa details
D visa or Crewmember visa is one of the non-immigrant visas issued by the U.S. government. This visa is specifically for those people who work on commercial sea vessels or international airlines that go through the U.S. For these sea vessels and airlines to run normal operations, their crew must be allowed to pass through the U.S. and make short stops.
With the D visa, the crew members can go through to the U.S. and stay in the country for a maximum of 29 days.
The D visa allows the crews to go through the U.S. and stay for a maximum of 29 days. Holders of the D visa can leave the dock or airport for this duration but must also leave the country within 29 days. The D visa can only be used for the purpose of passing through the U.S.
The visa processing time can vary between 3 to 5 days or even up to 2 weeks. Processing times for any U.S visa depends on the workload of the U.S Embassy from where you are applying. If there are more applications, it will take a longer time.
Requirements to get the D visa
To get the D visa, the person must be working on a vessel or airline travelling to the U.S and only passing through. The following job positions qualify for a D visa:
- Flight attendant or pilot on a commercial airplane
- Captain, deckhand, or engineer on a sea vessel
- Lifeguard, waiter, cook, or other supporting staff on cruise ships
- Trainee on board of a training vessel
Individuals who perform the following duties cannot apply for a D visa:
- Dry dock duties such as repairs while the boat is docked on a U.S port
- Occupants of a fishing vessel that has an operating base or home port in the U.S
- Substitute coasting officer
- Workers on a private yacht will be docked in the U.S for more than 29 days
- Crewmembers on a vessel going to the Outer Continental Shelf
Documents required for U.S D visa
- Your passport with at least one blank page to be able to affix a visa.
- One photograph fulfilling the requirements set by the U.S. authorities.
- Interview confirmation page and its copy
- A letter describing the purpose of your trip from your company or employer
- Proof of ties to your home countries such as family documents, job contract, lease, or property deed, which prove you do not intend to stay in the U.S for more than 29 days
- Name of the vessel
- Period of time you will be in the U.S.
- Date and port of entry
- Date and port of exit
- Your job position with a description of your roles & responsibilities
- Your salary while in the U.S.
- Copies of employer work records from your employer
- The Continuous Discharge Certificate (CDC)
- Travel authorization from your company
- Certificates and diplomas verifying your qualifications;
- Criminal records or letter from authorities stating that you do not have prior convictions
Application process for the D visa
Submit the Form DS-160
How Y-Axis can help you?
Y-Axis offers end-to-end assistance to help you with your B2 visa. Talk to us to learn how our consultants can help you at each step of your visa process.
Sign up for a free expert consultation
Looking for inspiration.
Explore What Global Indians have to say about Y-axis
USA Visit Visa
Y-Axis received a great review from Faiz
Y-Axis received a great review from Swat
I have been extremely satisfied with the
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is a us tourist visa valid for.
The US Tourist Visa (B-1/B-2) is a non-immigrant US Visa. Its validity period ranges from 1 month to 10 years and allows single, double or multiples entries to the US. The period of stay which is a maximum of 6 months is recorded by the Customs and Border Protection officer. This is at the entry port on the Form I-94 of the Visa holder.
The validity period specifies the time period for which the Visa can be used to arrive in the US. The period of stay specifies the duration for which an individual can remain in the US after every single entry.
How long does it take to get US Tourist Visa after the interview?
The exact processing times for a US Tourist Visa vary and are an approximation that can change at any time. Processing times cannot be guaranteed. Non-refundable reservations and tickets must not be bought till the time you obtain all the Passports and Visas.
The holiday seasons have high travel volume. The processing times for Consulates such as the Houston are at least 3 weeks.
General Processing Times
- It will take approximately 3 to 5 working days if the application is made in person
- For PIOs and US nationals requiring reference and all non-US nationals, it will take minimum 1 or 2 weeks for processing
- For all applications that require prior reference check, the processing time for the reference check alone is minimum 1 week
- You will have to add the transit and mailing time both ways when you apply by mail like courier or post
Each immigrant Visa case is unique and so it is tough to estimate the exact processing times of the individual cases. Generally, there are 3 factors that influence the required processing times:
- The time needed to process an application
- Time taken for processing through the Consulate and National Visa Centre
- Time taken for the case to become current
How much money do I need to show for US Tourist Visa?
Officially, there is no limit for the money to be shown for the US Tourist Visa. Any amount that can validate the overall expenses for your US trip must be adequate. This includes to and fro air tickets, medical insurance, boarding, lodging, shopping, etc. It is keeping in mind the duration and purpose of the trip. The higher the amount, the better.
For example, it can be estimated that the cost for a 15-day tour for one person can be around 5000 to 6000 USD. So the equivalent amount of money must be present in your or your sponsor’s bank.
What documents are required for US Tourist Visa?
The mandatory documents needed for the US Tourist Visa are:
- An original passport that has a validity of minimum 6 months after the likely arrival date in the US
- All expired passports
- 1 photograph for every specification, both hard and digital copy is needed
- Confirmation page of the DS – 160 US Visa application form stamped at the VAC – Visa Application Centre
- Valid fee payment receipt
- Printout of the appointment letter for US Visa interview
How can I get a Tourist Visa for the USA?
Applicants of US Tourist Visa must demonstrate that they are eligible as per the provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The law’s presumption is that every applicant of a Visitor/Tourist Visa is an intending migrant. Thus, the applicants of this Visa have to overcome this presumption.
Applicants have to demonstrate that they have a home in their nation of origin and they do not intend to abandon it. They must also prove that their intention is to arrive at the US for a limited and specified purpose. The purpose of their tour is to enter the US for medical treatment, tourism, or business.
What are the eligibility requirements for the B-2 visa?
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- They must prove that their visit will be temporary
- They must indicate their intention to return to their home country at the end of their stay (or any extension)
- They must have a valid foreign passport
- They should have a residence abroad where they intend to return
- They should have enough funds to support themselves financially while in the country
Is a B-2 visa valid on an expired passport?
If your B-2 visa is valid, you can still use it even if you have an expired passport. Do not remove it from your passport. You can still use the visa in your expired passport with your new passport when you want to visit the United States.
What are the restrictions of the D visa?
Since the D visa does not allow you to stay in the U.S, there are several restrictions which you will have to follow with the D visa, you cannot:
- Stay in the U.S for more than the designated time.
- Study in the U.S.
- Find employment in the U.S.
- Extend the D visa.
- Adjust or change the status of the D visa.
- Apply for a Green Card with a D visa.
- Work for another company except the vessel or airline you were in
- Enter and leave the U.S from different dock or airport
- Do longshore work on a D visa
- Re-enter the U.S within 6 months
How long can i stay in the U.S with a D visa?
This is a short duration visa. The visa is valid for a period of a maximum of 29 days or until the date of departure from the U.S whichever is earlier.