• Awards Season
  • Big Stories
  • Pop Culture
  • Video Games
  • Celebrities

How to Calculate Your Passport Fees on Travel.State.Gov: A Step-by-Step Guide

If you’re planning a trip abroad, one of the first things you’ll need is a passport. But before you can jet off to your dream destination, there’s one important thing you need to know: how much it will cost. Fortunately, the U.S. Department of State makes it easy to calculate your passport fees online through their website, travel.state.gov.

Understanding Passport Fees

Passport fees vary depending on several factors such as age, whether it’s a new or renewal application, and if expedited service is needed. The standard processing time for a new passport is 4-6 weeks while expedited service can take up to 3 weeks for an additional fee.

Navigating Travel.State.Gov

To calculate your passport fees on travel.state.gov, start by visiting the website and clicking on “Passports” in the menu bar. From there, select “Fees” and then choose the appropriate option based on your situation (new application or renewal).

Entering Your Information

Once you’ve selected your option, enter your age and indicate if you’re requesting standard or expedited service. If you’re applying for a new passport, also select whether it’s a book or card application.

After entering this information, the website will display your total fees including any additional charges such as execution fees or overnight delivery costs.

Additional Resources

In addition to calculating fees online through travel.state.gov, there are other resources available to help with passport-related questions. The website offers detailed instructions on how to apply for a passport and what forms are required as well as information on where to submit them.


Obtaining a passport is an essential step in international travel planning and knowing how much it will cost is crucial in budgeting for your trip. By following the steps outlined above, you can easily calculate your passport fees on travel.state.gov and be one step closer to embarking on your next adventure abroad.

This text was generated using a large language model, and select text has been reviewed and moderated for purposes such as readability.


travel to japan passport

Caution November 6, 2023

Worldwide caution, update november 6, 2023, information for u.s. citizens in the middle east.

  • Travel Advisories |
  • Contact Us |
  • MyTravelGov |

Find U.S. Embassies & Consulates

Travel.state.gov, congressional liaison, special issuance agency, u.s. passports, international travel, intercountry adoption, international parental child abduction, records and authentications, popular links, travel advisories, mytravelgov, stay connected, legal resources, legal information, info for u.s. law enforcement, replace or certify documents.

Before You Go

Learn About Your Destination

While Abroad


Share this page:

Travel Advisory July 24, 2023

Japan - level 1: exercise normal precautions.

Reissued with obsolete COVID-19 page links removed.

Exercise normal precautions in Japan.

Read the  country information page  for additional information on travel to Japan.

If you decide to travel to Japan:

  • Enroll in the  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)  to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on  Facebook  and  Twitter .
  • Follow Embassy Tokyo’s American Citizen Services section on  Facebook  and  Twitter .
  • Review the  Country Security Report  for Japan.
  • Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.
  • Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the  Traveler’s Checklist .

Embassy Messages

View Alerts and Messages Archive

Quick Facts

Duration of intended period of stay. Please note you cannot travel on a passport you have previously declared as lost or stolen even if you subsequently locate it

One page required for entry stamp

Amounts equivalent to ¥1,000,000 or above subject to declaration

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Tokyo  1-10-5 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8420 Japan Telephone: 81-3-3224-5000 Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 81-3-3224-5000 Fax: 81-3-3224-5856 Our Navigator Assistant will guide you to the information you need.

U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe 2-11-5, Nishitenma, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-8543, Japan Telephone: 81-6-6315-5900 Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 81-3-3224-5000 Fax: 81-6-6315-5914 Our  Navigator Assistant  will guide you to the information you need.

U.S. Consulate General Naha 2-1-1 Toyama, Urasoe City, Okinawa, Japan Telephone: 81-98-876-4211 Emergency Telephone: 81-3-3224-5000 Fax: 81-98-876-4243 Our  Navigator Assistant  will guide you to the information you need.

U.S. Consulate General Sapporo Kita 1-jo Nishi 28-chome, Chuo-ku, Sapporo 064-0821, Japan Telephone: 81-11-641-1115 Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 81-11-641-1115 Fax: 81-11-643-1283 Our Navigator Assistant will guide you to the information you need. All assistance at the Consulate General Sapporo is by appointment only.

U.S. Consulate Fukuoka 5-26 Ohori 2-chome, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka 810-0052, Japan Telephone: 81-92-751-9331 Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 81-3-3224-5000 Fax: 81-92-713-9222 [email protected] Our Navigator Assistant will guide you to the information you need. Routine services are provided by appointment only.

U.S. Consulate Nagoya Nagoya International Center Bldg. 6th floor, 1-47-1 Nagono, Nakamura-ku, Nagoya 450-0001, Japan Telephone: 81-52-581-4501 Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 81-3-3224-5000 Fax: 81-52-581-3190 Our Navigator Assistant will guide you to the information you need. Emergency services are provided by U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe. 

Destination Description

Learn about the U.S. relationship to countries around the world.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visit the  Embassy of Japan  website for the most current visa information.

COVID-19 Requirements:

  • There are no COVID-related entry requirements for U.S. citizens.
  • Travel regulations and restrictions are subject to change, sometimes with little notice. You should review the information available from the Government of Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare webpage on border measures before traveling. 

Entry & Exit:

  • You must have a valid passport and an onward/return ticket for tourist/business "visa free" stays of up to 90 days. Your passport must be valid for the entire time you are staying in Japan.
  • You cannot work on a 90-day "visa free" entry.
  • "Visa free" entry status may not be changed to another visa status without departing and then re-entering Japan with the appropriate visa, such as a spouse, work, or study visa.
  • Japanese immigration officers may deny you entry if you appear to have no visible means of support. 
  • All foreign nationals are required to provide fingerprint scans and to be photographed at the port of entry. Exceptions to this requirement include diplomatic and official visa holders, minors, and individuals covered under SOFA Article IX.2. For further information about landing procedures, please visit the  Immigration Bureau of Japan’s website . 
  • Make sure your passport is valid. Note you cannot travel on a passport you have previously declared as lost or stolen even if you subsequently locate it. Japanese authorities will likely deny you entry into Japan if you attempt to do so. If you have reported your passport lost or stolen, you must apply for a new passport before travel.

Transiting Japan: 

  • Ensure that your passport and visa are valid and up-to-date before you leave the United States. Passport services are not available at the airport.
  • Airlines in Japan may deny you boarding for transit if you do not have the required travel documents for an onward destination in another country or if your passport does not have six months of validity remaining. For the entry requirements of the country you are traveling to, visit the  State Department's Country Specific Information  website.

Military/SOFA Travelers:  While active-duty U.S. military personnel may enter Japan under the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with proper Department of Defense (DoD) identification and travel orders, all SOFA family members, civilian employees, and contractors must have valid passports to enter Japan. Please consult the  DOD Foreign Clearance Guide  before leaving the United States.

See  the Immigration Bureau of Japan’s website  for various immigration procedures.

HIV/AIDS Restrictions:  The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Japan. 

Find information on  dual nationality ,  prevention of international child abduction  and  customs regulations  on our websites.

Safety and Security

Crime:  Crime against U.S. citizens in Japan is generally low and usually involves personal disputes, theft, or vandalism. In addition:

  • Robberies committed after a victim has been drugged from a spiked drink can occur, especially in nightlife districts.
  • Sexual assaults are not often reported, but they do occur, and victims may be randomly targeted.  Victim's assistance resources or shelters are difficult for foreigners to access.
  • Hate-related violent crimes rarely occur, although some U.S. citizens have reported being the target of discrimination because of their nationality or their race.
  • Pick pocketing can occur in crowded shopping areas, on trains, and at airports.
  • Police reports must be filed before leaving Japan, as Japanese police will not accept reports filed from overseas. 
  • In instances involving credit card theft or fraud, Japanese police often provide a report number rather than a police report.  You can provide this report number to your credit card company to confirm the incident with the police.

Entertainment and Nightlife Districts in Tokyo: 

  • Use caution in all entertainment and nightlife districts throughout Japan, especially Roppongi, Kabuki-cho, Shibuya, and Ikebukuro. 
  • Incidents involving U.S. citizens in these areas include physical and sexual assaults, drug overdoses, theft of purses, wallets, cash and credit cards at bars or clubs, and drugs slipped into drinks. 
  • Drink spiking at bars and entertainment venues, especially in areas such as Roppongi and Kabuki-cho, near Shinjuku, has led to robbery, physical and sexual assaults, and credit card fraud.  Some victims regain consciousness in the bar or club; other victims may awaken on the street or other unfamiliar locations.
  • U.S. citizens have reported being threatened with gun or knife violence in such venues so that they will pay exorbitant bar tabs or withdraw money.  U.S. citizens have also reported being beaten when they have refused to pay or hand over money.
  • There have been reports of U.S. citizens being forcibly taken to ATMs and robbed, or made to withdraw funds after being unable to pay exorbitant bar tabs.
  • Please be aware that Roppongi, Kabuki-cho, and other entertainment and nightlife districts have also been the scenes of violence between criminal syndicates. 

See the  Department of State  and the  FBI  pages for information on scams. 

Police reports must be filed at the nearest police station prior to departure from Japan.  The Japanese police cannot accept reports filed from overseas.  Report crimes to the local police at 110 and contact the U.S. Embassy at 03-3224-5000 (011-81-3-3224-5000 from overseas).  Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on  help for U.S. victims of crime overseas .

  • help you find appropriate medical care;
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police;
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent;
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms;
  • provide a list of local attorneys;
  • provide information on  victim’s compensation programs in the U.S. ;
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home; and/or
  • replace a stolen or lost passport.

Contacting Police, Fire and Ambulance Services:  You can reach the police throughout Japan by dialing 110.  Fire and ambulance services can be contacted by dialing 119.  Note that English-speaking dispatchers may not be available.  Please review advice on  “Calling for Help” on our  website . If you need assistance, you should be able to describe your address/location in Japanese or find someone who can do so, since few police officers speak English.

Domestic Violence:  Victim's assistance resources or battered women's shelters exist in major urban areas, but they are generally unavailable in rural areas.  Investigations of sexual assault crimes are often conducted without female police officers present, and police typically ask about the victim's sexual history and previous relationships.

Tourism:  The tourism industry is generally regulated and rules with regard to best practices and safety inspections are regularly enforced.  Hazardous areas/activities are identified with appropriate signage and professional staff is typically on hand in support of organized activities.  In the event of an injury, appropriate medical treatment is widely available throughout the country.  Outside of a major metropolitan center, it may take more time for first responders and medical professionals to stabilize a patient and provide life-saving assistance, and English-speaking medical staff may not be available.  U.S. citizens are encouraged to purchase medical evacuation insurance.  See our webpage for more  information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties:  You are subject to Japanese law while you are in Japan.  If you violate Japanese laws, even unknowingly, you may be arrested, imprisoned, or deported. I f you are arrested in Japan, even for a minor offense , you may be held in detention without bail for several months or more during the investigation and legal proceedings.

Furthermore, some offences are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of Japanese law.  For examples, see our website on  crimes against minors abroad  and the  Department of Justice  website.

The vast majority of arrests of U.S. citizens in Japan are for drug-related offenses, and arrestees often spend months or years in detention. Japanese authorities aggressively pursue drug smugglers and users, including recreational users with sophisticated detection equipment, "sniffing" dogs, blood tests, “stop and frisk” tactics, and other methods. Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking a drug that is illegal in Japan are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and fines.  Please note that some drugs which may be legal in certain jurisdictions outside of Japan, including marijuana and synthetic drugs, remain illegal in Japan. This also applies to certain prescription drugs that doctors in the United States may prescribe.  Having a prescription for medical marijuana does not exempt you from Japanese law, which makes no distinction between medical and recreational marijuana.  Even possession of a small amount for personal use can result in a long jail sentence and fine.  Japanese customs officials carefully screen incoming packages, and individuals who are mailed drugs can be arrested and prosecuted as drug traffickers.  

Confiscation of Prescription Drugs and Other Medication:  It is important to note that some medications that are routinely prescribed in the United States, including Adderall, are strictly prohibited in Japan.  The Japanese government decides which medications may be imported legally into Japan.  The Embassy and consulates of Japan in the United States have limited information available and do not have a comprehensive list of specific medications or ingredients.  Please see more  information on importing medicines  into Japan.

You must carry your U.S. passport or Japanese Residence Card (Zairyu Kado) with you at all times.  In Japan, you may be taken in for questioning if you do not have your passport or Japanese residence card to show your identity and status in Japan (e.g., as a visitor, student, worker, or permanent resident).

It is illegal to work in Japan while in tourist or visa-waiver status. Overstaying your visa or working illegally may lead to fines of several thousands of dollars, and in some cases, re-entry bans as long as 10 years, or indefinitely for drug offenders.  For additional information please see  Japan’s Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act  and contact the Japanese Embassy or nearest Japanese consulate in the United States for more information.

Laws governing rape, sexual commerce, and other activity involving sexual relations do not apply to same-sex sexual activity.  This definition leads to lower penalties for perpetrators of male rape and greater legal ambiguity surrounding same-sex prostitution.

Driving under the influence of alcohol could also land you immediately in jail.  The blood-alcohol limit in Japan is 0.03%.  Punishments can be up to 10,000 USD in fines and up to five years in prison.

Possession of a gun or ammunition is a crime in Japan.  Carrying a knife with a locking blade, or a folding blade that is longer than 5.5 cm (a little more than two inches), is illegal in Japan.  U.S. citizens and U.S. military personnel have been arrested and detained for more than 10 days for carrying pocket knives that are legal in the United States but illegal in Japan.  The possession of lock-picking tools is illegal in Japan.

A  list of English-speaking lawyers  located throughout Japan is available on our  website .

Arrest Notification : If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately.  See the Department of State’s   webpage  and the Embassy’s website for additional information.

Faith-Based Travelers:  See our following webpages for details:

Faith-Based Travel Information

International Religious Freedom Report  – see country reports

Human Rights Report  – see country reports

Hajj Fact Sheet for Travelers

Best Practices for Volunteering Abroad

LGBTQI+ Travelers:  There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI+ events in Japan.

See our  LGBTQI+ Travel Information  page and section 6 of our  Human Rights report  for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance:  Although Japan’s accessibility laws mandate that new construction projects for public use include provisions for persons with disabilities, older buildings are not likely to have been retrofitted for accessibility.  At major train stations, airports, and hotels, travelers with disabilities should encounter few accessibility problems.  Note that many smaller stations are inaccessible to those who cannot climb stairs.  Information on travel in Japan for travelers with disabilities is available at  Accessible Japan .

Travelers with disabilities can learn more about resources available in country from the Japan National Tourism Organization’s  traveling with a disability page .

Students:  See our  Students Abroad  page and  FBI travel tips .

Women Travelers:  See our travel tips for  Women Travelers .

Conditions at Prisons and Detention Facilities:  Japanese prisons and detention facilities maintain internal order through a regime of very strict discipline.  U.S. citizen prisoners often complain of stark, austere living conditions and psychological isolation.  Heating in winter can be inadequate in some facilities, food portions can be significantly smaller than what many may be accustomed to, and access to specialized medical care, particularly mental health care, at detention facilities and prisons is sometimes limited. Additional  information on arrests in Japan  is available on our embassy website.

Customs Regulations:  Please contact the Japanese Embassy or nearest Japanese consulate in the United States, or  visit the Japanese Customs website  for specific information regarding import restrictions and customs requirements.

Japanese customs authorities encourage the use of an Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission (ATA) Carnet in order to temporarily import professional equipment, commercial samples, and/or goods for exhibitions and trade fairs into Japan.  For additional information, please call (212) 354-4480, or  email the U.S. CIB  for details.

Pets:  The Japanese  Animal Quarantine Service  (AQS) sets procedures for importing pets.  At a minimum, the process will take seven to eight months, though the process can take up to a year before a pet may enter Japan. Advance planning is critical.  You can find more information about  importing a pet into Japan  or information about  exporting a pet from Japan  on our  Embassy website.

Employment Issues:  U.S. citizens should not come to Japan to work without having the proper employment visa arranged ahead of time. Teaching English, even privately, and serving as hosts/hostesses are both considered "work" in Japan and are illegal without the proper visa.

Some U.S.-based employment agencies and Japanese employers do not fully or correctly represent the true nature of employment terms and conditions.  A minimum requirement for effectively seeking the protection of Japanese labor law is a written and signed work contract.  If there is no signed contract, Japanese authorities are not able to act on behalf of foreign workers.  If you are coming to Japan to work, carefully review your contract and the history and reputation of your Japanese employer before traveling to Japan.  Complaints against U.S.-based employment agencies or recruiters may be directed to the  Better Business Bureau  or the Office of the Attorney General in that particular state.

Disaster Preparedness:  Japan is prone to natural disasters, including earthquakes, typhoons, tsunamis, and landslides.  See the  Embassy’s webpage for recommendations and steps you can take to prepare for an emergency.  The Japan Tourism Organization’s  Safety Tips app  and NHK World app provide Japanese government emergency “J-Alerts” to your cell phone in English through push notifications.  “J-Alerts” can provide early warning emergency alerts on earthquakes predicted in a specific area, sometimes seconds before an earthquake hits. 

Radiation: Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant:  The Government of Japan continues to closely monitor the conditions at and around the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant.  You should comply with all travel restrictions and cautions put into place by the Government of Japan for areas surrounding the plant.  For more information, contact the  Japan Nuclear Regulation Authority .

For police service in Japan, dial 110. For fire or ambulance, dial 119.

Ambulance services are widely available but receiving hospitals may decline to accept inbound patients unless they can provide proof of funds to pay for services.

COVID-19 Testing:

  • Travelers should contact Japanese local health providers to determine the location of testing facilities within Japan. A non-comprehensive list of some COVID-19 testing facilities can be found here on the Embassy website.

COVID-19 Vaccines:

  • The COVID-19 vaccine is available for U.S. citizens to receive in Japan.
  • Review the Government of Japan’s  English language website  on COVID-19 vaccinations in Japan.
  • Visit the FDA's website to  learn more about FDA-approved vaccines  in the United States. 

We do not pay medical bills.  Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance:  Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more  information on insurance providers for overseas coverage . 

We strongly recommend  supplemental insurance  to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of  Japan’s Ministry of Health website to ensure the medication is legal in Japan; possession, use, or importation of a prescription drug that is illegal in Japan may result in arrest and criminal prosecution. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. U.S. prescriptions are not honored in Japan, so if you need ongoing prescription medicine, you should arrive with a sufficient supply for your stay in Japan or enough until you are able to see a local care provider.

Vaccinations:  Be up-to-date on all  vaccinations recommended  by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

  • World Health Organization
  • U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  (CDC)

Japan has a national health insurance system which is available only to those foreigners with long-term visas for Japan. National health insurance does not pay for medical evacuation. Medical caregivers in Japan require payment in full at the time of treatment or concrete proof of ability to pay before they will treat a foreigner who is not a member of the national health insurance plan.

U.S.-style and standard psychological and psychiatric care can be difficult to locate outside of major urban centers in Japan and generally is not available outside of Japan's major cities. Extended psychiatric care [GTJ1] [RAD2]  can be very difficult to obtain.

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety:  Driving in Japan is complicated and expensive.  Traffic moves on the left side of the road.  Those who cannot read the language will have trouble understanding road signs. Highway tolls can be very high.  City traffic is often very congested.  A 20-mile trip in the Tokyo area may take two hours.  There is virtually no legal roadside or curbside parking; however, traffic is commonly blocked or partially blocked by those illegally parked curbside.  In mountainous areas, roads are often closed during the winter, and cars should be equipped with tire chains. Roads in Japan are much narrower than those in the United States.

Traffic Laws:  Japanese law provides that all drivers in Japan are held liable in the event of an accident, and assesses fault in an accident on all parties.  Japanese compulsory insurance (JCI) is mandatory for all automobile owners and drivers in Japan.  Most short-term visitors choose not to drive in Japan.  Turning on red lights is not permitted in Japan, and all passengers are required to fasten their seat belts.

Japan has a national 0.03 percent blood-alcohol-level standard for driving, and drivers stopped for driving under the influence of intoxicants will have their licenses confiscated.  If you’re found guilty of driving under the influence, speeding, or blatantly careless driving resulting in injury, you are subject to up to 15 years in prison. 

See our  Road Safety page  for more information.  The National Police Agency (NPA) oversees the administration and enforcement of traffic laws in Japan.  You can find further information in English on the  NPA English website .  Information about roadside assistance, rules of the road, and obtaining a Japanese driver's license is available in English from the  Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) web site . See  the Japan National Tourism Organization’s website for car rental and driving in Japan.

Emergency Assistance:  For roadside assistance, please contact the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) at 03-5730-0111 in Tokyo, 072-645-0111 in Osaka, 011-857-8139 in Sapporo, 092-841-5000 in Fukuoka, or 098-877-9163 in Okinawa.

International Driving Permits (IDPs):  An international driving permit (IDP) issued in the United States by the American Automobile Association (AAA) or the American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA) is required of short-term visitors who drive in Japan.  You must obtain an IDP issued in your country of residence prior to arriving in Japan.  The U.S. Embassy or its consulates do not issue IDPs.  IDPs issued via the Internet and/or by other organizations are not valid in Japan. 

Residents in Japan who use an international driver’s license may be fined or arrested.  In practice, the term “resident” involves more than simply visa status or length of stay in Japan and is determined by the police.  In short, an international license is not a substitute for a valid Japanese license.  See our  website  for more information on driving in Japan.

Aviation Safety Oversight:  The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the government of Japan’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Japan’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the  FAA's safety assessment page .

Maritime Travel:  Mariners planning travel to Japan should also check for  U.S. maritime advisories and alerts in the Alerts section of the Embassy’s messages.  Information may also be posted to the  U.S. Coast Guard homeport website , and the  National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) broadcast warnings website portal  select “broadcast warnings.”

For additional travel information

  • Enroll in the  Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)  to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Call us in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
  • See the  State Department’s travel website  for the  Worldwide Caution  and  Travel Advisories .
  • Follow us on  Twitter  and  Facebook .
  • See  traveling safely abroad  for useful travel tips.

Review information about International Parental Child Abduction in  Japan . For additional IPCA-related information, please see the  International Child Abduction Prevention and Return Act ( ICAPRA )  report.

Travel Advisory Levels

Assistance for u.s. citizens, learn about your destination, enroll in step.

Enroll in STEP

Subscribe to get up-to-date safety and security information and help us reach you in an emergency abroad.

Recommended Web Browsers: Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome.

Make two copies of all of your travel documents in case of emergency, and leave one with a trusted friend or relative.


Antigua and Barbuda

Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, and Saba

Bosnia and Herzegovina

British Virgin Islands

Burkina Faso

Burma (Myanmar)

Cayman Islands

Central African Republic

Cote d Ivoire


Czech Republic

Democratic Republic of the Congo

Dominican Republic

El Salvador

Equatorial Guinea

Eswatini (Swaziland)

Falkland Islands

French Guiana

French Polynesia

French West Indies

Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Martin, and Saint Barthélemy (French West Indies)


Isle of Man

Israel, The West Bank and Gaza


Marshall Islands


New Caledonia

New Zealand

North Korea (Democratic People's Republic of Korea)

Papua New Guinea


Republic of North Macedonia

Republic of the Congo

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Sao Tome and Principe

Saudi Arabia

Sierra Leone

Sint Maarten

Solomon Islands

South Africa

South Korea

South Sudan


The Bahamas


Trinidad and Tobago


Turks and Caicos Islands

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom

Vatican City (Holy See)

External Link

You are about to leave travel.state.gov for an external website that is not maintained by the U.S. Department of State.

Links to external websites are provided as a convenience and should not be construed as an endorsement by the U.S. Department of State of the views or products contained therein. If you wish to remain on travel.state.gov, click the "cancel" message.

You are about to visit:


An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS A lock ( Lock A locked padlock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

U.S. Embassy Seal

U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Japan

Side Navigation Logo

Welcome to Japan

The U.S. Embassy and consulates in Japan are pleased to welcome U.S. citizen visitors back to Japan!

We encourage you to follow us on Twitter ( @ACSTokyo ) and Facebook ( @ACSTokyo ). Travelers should also consider enrolling in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.

U.S. military members and family with SOFA status should contact their chain of command directly for guidance and adhere to the processes described in the Foreign Clearance Guide.

Visa Free Travel for U.S. Citizen Tourists  

Currently, tourists with U.S. passports do not need visas for short-term visits (up to three months).  

Because travel regulations and restrictions are complex and are subject to change with little notice , the U.S. Embassy strongly urges any U.S. citizens considering travel to Japan to carefully review the information available from the Government of Japan. Travelers who are unsure of their eligibility to travel to Japan should contact the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate for additional information.  

Effective as of midnight April 29, 2023 (Japan time), all travelers arriving in Japan will no longer need to present proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test certificate. For more info: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/covid-19/bordercontrol.html.

Military travelers arriving in Japan under the Status of Forces Agreement should consult with their chain of command to ensure they understand any applicable requirements prior to beginning travel.  

The U.S. Embassy’s ability to intervene on behalf of travelers denied boarding at their point of embarkation or denied entry upon arrival to Japan is extremely limited, and those travelers denied entry at Japanese ports of entry will likely be immediately reboarded on flights back to the United States.  

Please note travel and entry requirements are subject to frequent change. For more information and the most recent guidance, please reach out to Japanese embassy or consulate closest to your location: https://www.mofa.go.jp/about/emb_cons/over/index.html  

Travelers entering Japan may use the Electronic Customs Declaration Gates (e-Gates) for customs clearance, which reduces human-to-human contact. Travelers may wish to learn more about the program before arriving in Japan. Please see the  Japan Customs website    for details.  

COVID-19 in Japan

Currently, there are no COVID-19 testing , proof of vaccination, or quarantine requirements to travel to Japan.  However,  we strongly recommend all U.S. citizens carefully review the information on Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) website , which provides official guidance. While COVID-19 testing is not required for entry into Japan, a non-comprehensive list of some COVID-19 testing facilities can be found on the Embassy website , should travelers require testing for travel to other countries.

Know Before You Go:  Prohibited Substances

travel to japan passport

Many common medications and over-the-counter drugs in the United States are illegal in Japan, regardless of whether you have a valid U.S. prescription. If you bring it with you, you risk arrest and detention by Japanese authorities. It is your responsibility to ensure you understand what substances are prohibited. The U.S. Embassy and consulates in Japan do not maintain a comprehensive list of prohibited medications or substances. Comprehensive information is available only from the Japanese government and is subject to change without notice. Please check Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare  (MHLW) website , including the FAQ , or email  [email protected] before traveling to Japan.

Travelers who need to bring more than the MLHW’s approved quantity of medication or medical devices should obtain a “Yunyu Kakunin-sho” (importation certificate) prior to traveling and present it with the prescription to a customs officer upon arrival in Japan.  Certificate approval by the Japanese government may take several weeks to process and should be received before bringing the medication or medical devices to Japan.

All travelers entering Japan with a prescription medication, including medication that is not restricted in Japan, should consider bringing a copy of their doctor’s prescription as well as a letter stating the purpose of the drug.

For more information about bringing medicines into Japan and how to obtain a “Yunyu Kakunin-sho” certificate, please visit  the website of the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare  and email  [email protected] .

When you make your email inquiry to  [email protected] , please include the following information:

  • The drug’s active ingredients
  • The name of the medicine
  • The dosage and quantity
  • Your e-mail address

Passport/Carrying Identification

Make sure you carry your passport at all times during your trip to Japan. It is a legal requirement and local police may ask to check your identification. Your passport should be valid for the duration of your stay. If you plan to travel to other countries during your trip, be sure to check the passport validity and visa requirements of each country.

Lost or Stolen Passports

The Embassy is ready to help U.S. citizens replace passports that are lost or stolen. We will work with you to replace your passport as expeditiously as possible. Our ability to issue passports outside of our business hours is extremely limited. More information can be found here .

Emergencies in Japan

Ensuring the safety and security of U.S. citizens overseas is the Department of State’s top priority. U.S. citizens needing urgent assistance should contact us by using our inquiry form or phone (03-3224-5000). If you need after-hours assistance in an emergency, please call 03-3224-5000 and ask to speak with the Embassy’s duty officer.

  • Emergency Contact Information for U.S. citizens
  • Emergency Preparedness for U.S. citizens in Japan
  • Sources of Help, including counseling services

Medical Assistance in Japan

  • Medical Assistance
  • Japan National Tourism Organization’s Official Guide for when you are feeling ill.

Additional Useful Information:

The Embassy has compiled lists of resources that may have the answer you’re looking for.

  • Driving in Japan
  • Importing or Bringing Medication into Japan for Personal Use
  • Legal Assistance
  • A-Z Index of Topics

Natural Disasters

Japan is a seismically active country with frequent earthquakes, typhoons , and other natural disasters. In some cases, earthquakes can lead to tsunamis . In the event of a disaster during your travel, authorities will provide guidance on what to do in the immediate aftermath. In some cases, an alarm may sound just before an earthquake or other disaster strikes the area. The Japanese government pushes safety alerts to users via several apps, including at least one that provides English language information: the Japan National Tourism Organization’s Safety Tips app.

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government has a Disaster Prevention Information website with information on how to respond to a natural disaster in the area.

More information can be found on our website .

Visas to Japan and Immigration Information

Visas for U.S. citizens hoping to travel, study or work in Japan are controlled by the Japanese government. While the Japanese Government is the ultimate authority on visa matters, we include some general information on visas for U.S. citizens to aid in your planning. U.S. citizens without a work visa cannot work in Japan. Please check here for detailed information.

The Immigration Services Agency of Japan has established Information Centers and One-Stop Consultation Centers to handle telephone, in-person and e-mail inquiries in Japanese and foreign languages. Contact information for Centers in different prefectures is listed here .

Follow us on Social Media

  • Twitter (@ACSTokyo)
  • Facebook (@ACSTokyo)

The information above is general information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and is subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The U.S. Embassy assumes no liability for inaccuracies in the information above. U.S. citizens wishing to obtain any further or more tailored information must contact the relevant local authority.

Please call your nearest Consulate or Embassy:

  • Media & Industry
  • Meetings & Events
  • Select Language 简体中文 繁體中文(香港) 繁體中文(臺灣) India (English) Bahasa Indonesia 한국어 ภาษาไทย Tiếng Việt Singapore (English) Philippines (English) Malaysia (English) Australia/New Zealand (English) Français Deutsch Italiano Español United Kingdom (English) Nordic countries(English) Canada (English) Canada (Français) United States (English) Mexico (español) Português العربية Japan(日本語) Global (English)
  • India (English)
  • Bahasa Indonesia
  • Singapore (English)
  • Philippines (English)
  • Malaysia (English)
  • Australia/New Zealand (English)
  • United Kingdom (English)
  • Nordic countries(English)
  • Canada (English)
  • Canada (Français)
  • United States (English)
  • Mexico (español)
  • Global (English)
  • Fujiyoshida
  • Shimonoseki
  • Ishigaki Island
  • Miyako Island
  • Kerama Island
  • Tokyo Island
  • Koka & Shigaraki
  • Hida Takayama
  • Ginza, Nihonbashi
  • Beppu & Yufuin (Onsen)
  • Ginzan Onsen
  • Nagasaki Islands

travel to japan passport

  • Kumano Kodo
  • Shikoku Karst
  • Amami Oshima
  • Hachimantai
  • Omihachiman
  • Aizuwakamatsu

travel to japan passport

  • Diving in Japan
  • Skiing in Japan
  • Seasonal Flowers in Japan
  • Sustainable Outdoors
  • Off the Beaten Track in Japan
  • Scenic Spots
  • World Heritage
  • Home Stays & Farm Stays

travel to japan passport

  • Japanese Gardens
  • Japanese Crafts
  • Temple Stays
  • Heritage Stays
  • Festivals and Events
  • Theater in Japan
  • Japanese Tea Ceremony
  • Cultural Experiences in Japan
  • Culture in Japan

travel to japan passport

  • Local Cuisine Eastern Japan
  • Local Cuisine Western Japan
  • Local Street Food
  • Japan's Local Ekiben
  • Japanese Whisky
  • Vegetarian and Vegan Guide
  • Sushi in Japan Guide
  • Japanese Sake Breweries

travel to japan passport

  • Art Museums
  • Architecture
  • Performing Arts
  • Art Festivals
  • Japanese Anime and Comics
  • Japanese Ceramics
  • Local Crafts

travel to japan passport

  • Scenic Night Views
  • Natural Wonders
  • Theme Parks
  • Samurai & Ninja
  • Iconic Architecture

travel to japan passport

  • Wellness Travel in Japan
  • Japanese Ryokan Guide
  • A Guide to Stargazing in Japan
  • Relaxation in Japan
  • Forest Bathing (Shinrin-yoku)

travel to japan passport

  • Experiences in Japan
  • Enjoy my Japan
  • National Parks
  • Japan's Local Treasures
  • Japan Heritage
  • Snow Like No Other
  • Wonder Around Japan

travel to japan passport

  • Visa Information
  • Getting to Japan
  • Airport Access
  • COVID-19: Practical Information for Traveling to Japan
  • Anime Tourism
  • Countryside Stays
  • Accessible Tourism
  • Hokkaido Great Outdoors
  • Scenic World Heritage in Tohoku
  • Shikoku’s Nature and Traditions
  • Southern Kyushu by Rail

travel to japan passport

  • Traveling by Rail
  • How to Travel by Train and Bus
  • JR Rail Passes
  • Scenic Railways
  • Renting a Car
  • Sustainable Travel in Japan
  • Travel Brochures
  • Useful Apps
  • Online Reservation Sites
  • Eco-friendly Accommodation
  • Luxury Accommodations
  • Traveling With a Disability
  • Hands-free Travel
  • How to Book a Certified Tour Guide
  • Volunteer Guides
  • Tourist Information Center

travel to japan passport

  • Japanese Manners
  • Spring in Japan
  • Summer in Japan
  • Autumn in Japan
  • Winter in Japan
  • Cherry Blossom Forecast
  • Autumn Leaves Forecast

travel to japan passport

  • Japan Visitor Hotline
  • Travel Insurance in Japan
  • Japan Safe Travel Information
  • Accessibility in Japan
  • Vegetarian Guide
  • Muslim Travelers

travel to japan passport

  • JAPAN Monthly Web Magazine
  • Arts & Cultures
  • Nature & Outdoor
  • Festivals & Events
  • Insider Blog
  • Things to do
  • Local Guides
  • Food & drink
  • Traditional
  • Hokuriku Shinetsu

JAPAN Monthly Web Magazine

My Favorites

${v.desc | trunc(25)}

Planning a Trip to Japan?

Share your travel photos with us by hashtagging your images with #visitjapanjp

Visa Information

  • Helping You Plan

All you need to know about entering, leaving and staying in Japan

Any foreign visitor entering Japan must have a valid passport for the duration of their stay, and all visitors must comply with the conditions of their visas.

See below for information about the current visa requirements for Japan.

If you have any further questions, please contact the Japanese embassy or consulate in your country of residence.

Did this information help you?

out of found this information helpful.

Thank you for your feedback.

Recommended for you.

Nemophila & Kochia at Hitachi Seaside Park

Please Choose Your Language

Browse the JNTO site in one of multiple languages

本ホームページは「JavaScript」が使われております。 「JavaScript」をONにしてご利用ください。

Embassy of Japan in the United States of America

Japan national flag

Frequently Asked Questions

General visa questions.

  • A. People from visa exempt countries and regions do not need a visa if their period of stay in Japan is 90 days or less AND they will not be engaged in income-earning activities. Refer to the List of Countries and Regions that have Visa Exemption Arrangements with Japan [ LINK ].
  • A. Your employer, school, or the party/individual inviting you to come to Japan should apply for the Certificate of Eligibility in Japan through the Ministry of Justice, Immigration Services Agency of Japan. Please visit their website for more information [ LINK ].
  • A. In general, a visa is only valid for a single entry. A visa is valid for 3 months from the day of issuance. Therefore, entry into Japan should occur within this time frame. You can stay in Japan for up to 15 days, up to 30 days, or up to 90 days from your day of entrance (per visit) depending on your visa. * A Double-Entry visa is valid for 6 months (a Double-Entry transit visa is valid for 4 months) and can be used twice (once on the way to your destination and once on the return trip) to complete a round trip. * A Multiple entry visa is valid for 1 to 5 years. Multiple entry visas can be issued to citizens of countries that Japan has bilateral agreements with and to visitors with business purposes.
  • A. No, as long as your passport is valid during the time of your stay in Japan, it should not be a problem. However, if you have a temporary travel document for emergency use, your travel document needs to be valid for 6 months from the day you enter Japan.
  • A. The Visa Waiver Program applies based on your nationality, not on your U.S. residence status. If you are from NON-visa exempt countries or regions, then you need a visa to enter Japan [ LINK ].
  • A. If you do not go through the immigration office/passport control at the airport and you possess confirmed airline tickets to go to the third country, then you do not need a visa. Please confirm with your airline whether or not you will go through the immigration office before applying for a visa. [ LINK ]
  • A. It depends on the criminal charge. First, if you already have a deportation order from the Japanese immigration office explaining your entrance eligibility, then please follow that order. If you do not have such orders, please contact us.


  • A. No, an appointment is not required for visa applications or pick-up. However, visa applications are ONLY accepted in the morning from 9:15 am to 12:00 pm. Pick up is only in the afternoon from 1:30 pm to 4:00 pm.
  • A. No, unfortunately, due to the limited space and large number of applicants, we ask visa applicants to find street parking near the Embassy.
  • A. No, only residents of D.C., Maryland or Virginia can apply for a visa at the Embassy of Japan in Washington, D.C., as we only have jurisdiction over those three areas. Please visit the following link to find the Consulate-General of Japan with jurisdiction over your area of residence [ LINK ].
  • A. Visas are only valid for 3 months, therefore, 3 months prior to the date of your visit to Japan is the earliest that you can apply for a visa. In general, the Embassy needs 5 business days to issue a visa, however, issuing a visa could take a few months depending on certain conditions. We recommend applying for a visa at least 1.5 months before your departure date.
  • A. In principle, it takes 5 business days to issue a visa, however, it could take a few months depending on certain conditions. We recommend you applying for a visa at least 1.5 months before your departure date.
  • A. We do NOT have expedited services. We process the applications fairly and in the order in which we receive them. It is your responsibility to make sure you have enough time to apply for a visa.
  • A. No, we do not accept any applications by mail.
  • A. There are four ways to apply for a visa. 1. The visa applicant visits the Embassy in person. 2. The visa applicant completes an Authorization Form [ LINK ] and has a proxy visit the Embassy on his/her behalf. 3. The visa applicant uses a travel agent. You will also need to submit an Authorization Form [ LINK ].
  • 4. For a single-entry tourism visa, you can apply online: [ LINK ]
  • A. Yes. The proxy needs to bring the application receipt, cash for the visa (if applicable), his/her ID card, and the Authorization Form [ LINK ].
  • A. Please bring a Letter of Guarantee from your parents explaining that they will be responsible for covering all costs associated with your trip. Also please include your parent(s)'s bank statement, a translation (into Japanese or English), and copy of their ID card(s) [ LINK ].


  • A.  There are no vaccination requirements to enter Japan.
  • A. Please visit the following page for more information on bringing medications into Japan [ LINK ].
  • A. Please visit the following page for more information on bringing your pet into Japan [ LINK ].
  • A. Getting international travel medical insurance is not mandatory but highly recommended as medical treatment in Japan can be very expensive. Additionally, foreign visitors who fail to pay their medical expenses may be denied entering Japan in the future. [ LINK ].
  • A. If you are traveling with a minor who is 16 years old or younger and without all of the minor’s parent(s)/legal guardian(s), then we strongly recommend obtaining a letter of consent from the minor’s parent(s)/legal guardian(s) and bringing that letter with you to Japan. A letter of consent should include a statement approving the trip and be signed and dated by all of the minor’s parent(s)/legal guardian(s). Letter(s) don't need to be notarized. 
  • A. Yes, you can travel to Japan by yourself. However, if you are 16 years old or younger, then we strongly recommend obtaining a letter of consent from all of your parent(s)/legal guardian(s) and bringing the letter with you to Japan.

Recommended Information

Japan Visa Information Hotline

  • Consular Section: Embassy of Japan, 2520 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20008
  • Office Hours: Application Drop-off/ M-F 9:15am-12:00pm Visa Pick-up/ M-F 1:30pm-4:00pm
  • Contact Us: 202-238-6800/ M-F 9:00am-5:00pm
  • Japan Visa Information Hotline (English available) 1-888-704-4459 Domestic call fee applies, 24hours, 7days/week

Back to Top

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs website uses JavaScript. Please turn on "JavaScript" and use it.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan

Exemption of Visa (Short-Term Stay)

Japan has taken measures on the visa exemption arrangements for 70 countries/regions as shown in the chart below.

・Period of Stay

  • The period of stay granted at the time of the landing permission will be "15 days" for Indonesia and Thailand, “14 days” for Brunei, "30 days" for United Arab Emirates and Qatar, and "90 days" for other countries and regions.
  • (Note 1) For nationals of Indonesia (since December 1, 2014), visas are not required only for those who have registered ICAO-compliant ePassport to diplomatic missions of Japan in Indonesia (the embassy, consulates-general, or the consulate). Validity of the registration is three years period or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.
  • (Note 2) For nationals of Malaysia (since July 1, 2013), visas are not required only for holders of ePassport in compliance with ICAO standards. Those who do not hold such ePassport are advised to obtain a visa in advance, otherwise will be strictly examined and may be refused entry to Japan.
  • (Note 3) For nationals of Brazil (since September 30, 2023), United Arab Emirates (since November 1, 2022), Thailand (since July 1, 2013) and Serbia (since May 1, 2011), visas are not required only for holders of ePassport in compliance with ICAO standards. Those who do not hold such ePassport are requested to obtain a visa in advance, otherwise will be refused to enter Japan.
  • (Note 4) For citizens of Hong Kong, visas are not required only for holders of Special Administrative Region (SAR) passport issued by the Hong Kong SAR of the People’s Republic of China or British National Overseas (BNO) passports who have the right of residence in Hong Kong.
  • (Note 5) For citizens of Macao, visas are not required only for holders of SAR passport issued by the Macao SAR of the People’s Republic of China.
  • (Note 6) Visa exemption arrangements for Taiwan is limited to passport holders with a personal ID number.
  • (Note 7) For nationals of Barbados (since April 1, 2010), Turkey (since April 1, 2011) and Lesotho (since April 1, 2010), visas are not required only for holders of Machine-Readable Passport (MRP) in compliance with ICAO standards. Those who do not hold an MRP are advised to obtain a visa in advance, otherwise will be strictly examined and may be refused entry to Japan.
  • (Note 8) For nationals of those countries with visa exemptions permitting stays of up to 6 months under the bilateral visa exemption arrangements, those who wish to stay in Japan for more than 90 days are required to apply for an extension of the period of stay to the Ministry of Justice (Regional Immigration Bureau) before the period of permitted stay is to expire.
  • (Note 9) For nationals of Qatar (since April 2, 2023), visas are not required only for those who have registered ICAO-compliant ePassport to diplomatic missions of Japan (the embassy, consulates-general, or the consulate). Validity of the registration is three years period or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.
  • (Note 10)Nationals of Peru (since July 15,1995) and Colombia (since February 1, 2004) are advised to obtain a visa in advance, otherwise will be strictly examined and may be refused entry to Japan.

Machine-Readable Passport (MRP) in compliance with ICAO standards

(image 1) The identification data page with machine-readable passport data such as personal information

MRP in compliance with ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) standards has certain individual information, which is able to be read by computer, entered on the identity page of the passport.

ePassport in compliance with ICAO standards

(image 2) The passport that show the ICAO standard IC passport mark is printed on the cover page.

ePassport in compliance with ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) standards has IC chip that stores certain individual and biometric data including a digital image of the passport photograph. ePassport in compliance with ICAO standards has ePassport’s symbol on the front cover of the passport.

Related Links

  • VISA/Residing in Japan
  • Japan Travel Info
  • Shinkansen Bullet Trains
  • Regional Passes
  • Hokuriku Arch Pass

Japan Entry Requirements for Tourists

All visitors need to present their passport at the Japanese border to gain entry. To meet the entry requirements, some nationalities also need to obtain a visa in advance but others can enter without a visa.

Regardless of whether you need a visa, all visitors may be asked to demonstrate proof of sufficient financial means to cover the cost of their stay and a return travel ticket (or proof of onward travel). Some people are randomly selected for a short interview and everyone is photographed and has to provide their fingerprints.

Visa-exempt Countries

Numerous nationalities can enter Japan without obtaining a visa in advance. Visitors from these countries receive a visa on arrival at the border which comes in the form of a temporary visitor stamp (which they need to present at a JR Exchange office to receive the JR Pass ).

Which Countries need a Tourist Visa?

Visitors who are not from visa-exempt countries need to obtain a tourist visa to enter Japan . Tourist visas are available from Japanese embassies and consulates and they allow visitors to spend up to 90 days in Japan . A double-entry visa is available for people planning on entering Japan twice within a 6-month period.

Applicants need to provide a valid passport with two blank pages and complete the visa application. The required documentation and visa requirements can vary on case-to-case basis.

The government will launch a new eVisa in the near future to make it easier for people to obtain a visa.

Japan tourist visa requirements

Although the tourist visa requirements can vary from application to application, generally speaking, applicants need to provide the following documentation:

  • A valid passport with two blank pages and 6 months remaining
  • Recent passport photo (taken within the last 6 months)
  • Completed visa application form
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate (if issued within the last 12 months)
  • Travel plans (including a schedule)

Visa requirements for Chinese citizens

Chinese travelers are expected to become the first eligible nationality for the Japan eVisa once it is launched. The online application will be quick and simple as the entire process will be completed online.

Until the eVisa becomes available, Chinese travelers can apply for a tourist visa from a Japanese embassy or consulate. The visa requirements are the same as other nationalities (listed above).

Related FAQs

  • Eligibility
  • Pocket WiFi
  • Japan Visas

Digital Agency

How to use Visit Japan Web


  • Log in / Register

1. Action needed before immigrating to Japan

  • STEP 0 Create Account ・ Login
  • STEP 1 Register user information
  • STEP 2 Register immigrating schedule
  • STEP 3 Register required information

2. At airport in Japan

3. what to do during your stay in japan.

Create Account ・Login An email address is required to create a new account

Show the QR code at the arrival procedure

3. Things to do during your stay in Japan

(1) How to register information

Instruction Manual

  • Simplified Chinese
  • Traditional Chinese

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy

Digital Agency

HandyVisas logo

  • Handyvisas.com >
  • Japan eVisa >

Japan eVISA Requirements for United States Nationals

travel to japan passport

Citizens of the United States are not currently eligible to apply for the Japan eVISA. We will update this page if the online visa becomes available for your nationality.

Citizens from the United States are required to obtain a visa to travel to Japan , regardless of the intended length of stay and the purpose of the visit.

It will soon be possible for US citizens to easily obtain a single-entry visa for tourism , once the upcoming eVISA for Japan has been implemented.

The United States is one of the countries which will be eligible for this upcoming visa once the electronic application process is launched, providing they meet the Japan eVISA requirements when submitting an online form.

This eVISA for US nationals is being implemented by the Japanese government in order to make it easier for American citizens to visit Japan for tourism, as well as to expedite the application process and reduce the need to process paperwork at Japanese embassies and consulates.

Do I Need a Visa to Visit Japan from the United States?

All US passport holders visiting Japan require a visa , matter how long they plan to stay or the motive for the trip.

It used to be the case that US nationals would have to visit their local Japanese embassy or consulate several weeks before their trip to apply for a travel visa for Japan in person, and endure long processing times.

However, Japan recently changed its visa policy, and citizens of around 180 countries, including the USA, will soon be able to apply for a Japanese tourist visa exclusively online .

Once the online system is implemented, Citizens of the United States will be able to obtain an approved single-entry visa for short stays by filling out a simple electronic application form , eliminating the need to apply at a diplomatic mission in person.

How to Apply for a Japan eVISA from the United States

United States passport holders planning a visit to Japan should apply online for a Japan eVISA before arrival in the country. The application process is expected to take less than 10 minutes to complete in total.

The electronic visa for US nationals will grant the holder entry to Japan for an as-yet-undetermined amount of time. The length of validity is yet to be confirmed , but once it is,  the updated information will be posted online on the Japan Visa Policy page .

Americans wishing to visit Japan for periods of stay not permitted with an eVISA  will still be required to organize a visit to a Japanese embassy or consulate to apply for a consular visa, whether they are traveling for tourism, business, to study or work, or for another motive.

Japan eVISA Requirements for United States Citizens

Applying for a Japan eVISA is straightforward and only takes a few minutes. The application now takes place entirely online, and requires the applicant to have certain documents to fill in the form correctly.

To apply for an eVISA for Japan, you will be required to have a valid United States passport . You should check it is fully up-to-date, and has at least six months’ validity from the expected date of arrival in Japan. If it does not, you will have to apply for a new replacement passport before applying for your electronic visa.

You will be required to input specific information from the passport into the online application form as part of the application process, including the number of the document and the issue and expiry dates.

It will also be necessary to provide basic biographical information on the Japanese eVISA form, such as full name, country of birth, and current address.

US applicants will also be required to answer a few security-based questions, as well as to supply a few details of the trip to Japan , such as accommodation, flight details, and arrival and return dates.

You will also need a valid credit or debit card . This is required to pay the Japan eVISA processing fee.

US travelers are also advised to take time to double-check the details on the form before submitting it for approval. This is to avoid delays caused by incorrect or missing information being uploaded as part of your application.

How Will I Receive My Japan Electronic Visa as an American?

The eVISA application will be registered to an email address , so ensure that one you use is one you check regularly, as any updates, as well as a copy of the approved online visa for Japan once processed, will be sent there.

It is expected that the form will be processed within 2-4 business days , although US applicants will most likely be advised to submit the eVISA application at least a few days before the trip to allow for sufficient processing.

Although it is expected that the electronic visa for Japan will be electronically linked to the traveler’s passpor t, eVISA holders will most likely be advised to print out a paper copy or save a copy to their phone to present to officials upon arrival at Japanese border control.

Application Steps

Covid update for japan.

Last update: 16/10/2023

You can now travel to Japan under normal entry rules. There are no COVID-19 measures in place. Find out the travel requirements that you must meet to visit the country by checking the visa policy of Japan .

Country policy

Check the visa policy of Japan and discover the travel requirements for your nationality.

Visa requirements checker

Related news.

keeping travel documents safe

In today’s world, traveling has become an integral part of our lives. Be it for leisure or work, many of us find ourselves regularly on the move across borders. However, one integral aspect that you may overlook is the safety of your travel documents. Losing these critical papers can turn a dream holiday into a

travel to japan passport

Venturing abroad is an exciting experience, filled with new cultures to explore, foods to taste, and vistas to see. However, before immersing oneself in these novel experiences, one must navigate the labyrinthine process of obtaining a visa. While the general rule of thumb dictates that visa requirements ask you for a sober, straightforward exchange of

Hardest Visas to Get

Traveling the world can be an enriching experience, opening doors to new cultures, customs, and unforgettable memories. However, not all countries are as welcoming to tourists, and obtaining a visa can be a daunting task. In this article, we’ll explore the hardest countries to get a visa for, and the reasons behind their strict visa

Japan Ends COVID Border Measures Earlier than Expected

Japan has announced the end of COVID-19 border measures earlier than anticipated. This means that travelers visiting the country with an eVisa for Japan will no longer need to present any health documentation to gain entry. The majority of Japan’s mandatory coronavirus entry restrictions are now being lifted at midnight on April 28, 2023.  From


  1. Japan Unveils Beautiful New Passport Design

    travel to japan passport

  2. Buy Real Passport of Japan

    travel to japan passport

  3. This country now has the most powerful passport in the world

    travel to japan passport

  4. Free stock photo of JAPAN PASSPORT

    travel to japan passport

  5. 6.Hokusai great wave in Japan's new passport

    travel to japan passport

  6. Japanese Passport Is Now The Most Powerful In The World

    travel to japan passport


  1. Passport Bros Debate South Korean Women VERSUS Japanese Women

  2. Japan passport number one rank #kalingatv

  3. October 9, 2021 going tokyo to renew our passports

  4. Visit #japan

  5. Most Powerful Passport Holding Country in 2023. Singapore, USA, UK, China, India...... Part 1

  6. #japan passport#knowledge #facts


  1. How to Calculate Your Passport Fees on Travel.State.Gov: A Step-by-Step Guide

    If you’re planning a trip abroad, one of the first things you’ll need is a passport. But before you can jet off to your dream destination, there’s one important thing you need to know: how much it will cost. Fortunately, the U.S.

  2. How to Make Travel Easier with a Golden Age Golden Access Passport

    Traveling can be a hassle, especially for seniors who may have limited mobility or other health concerns. Fortunately, the Golden Age Golden Access Passport (GAGAP) makes it easier for seniors to travel.

  3. The benefits of using a walk-in passport office for your travel needs

    Are you planning a trip abroad and need to renew or apply for a passport? If so, you may have searched for “walk in passport office near me” to find the closest office to your location. Using a walk-in passport office can offer many benefit...

  4. Japan International Travel Information

    Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements · You must have a valid passport and an onward/return ticket for tourist/business "visa free" stays of up to 90 days. · You

  5. Information for U.S. citizens traveling to Japan

    Currently, tourists with U.S. passports do not need visas for short-term visits (up to three months). Because travel regulations and restrictions are complex

  6. Japan Visa Requirements

    Before traveling to Japan, check your country's visa requirements and whether you're eligible for visa exemption.

  7. Visa and Travel Information

    General Rules for Visa Application · We will keep passports while processing visa applications (excluding online applications). · No 6 months

  8. Frequently Asked Questions

    No, as long as your passport is valid during the time of your stay in Japan, it should not be a problem. However, if you have a temporary travel

  9. VISA

    All foreign nationals/people who reside in the following countries/region and are required to obtain a short-term visa on visiting Japan are eligible to apply

  10. Exemption of Visa (Short-Term Stay)

    Those who do not hold such ePassport are requested to obtain a visa in advance, otherwise will be refused to enter Japan. (Note 4) For citizens

  11. Japan Entry Requirements for Tourists

    Visitors who are not from visa-exempt countries need to obtain a tourist visa to enter Japan. Tourist visas are available from Japanese embassies and consulates

  12. How to use Visit Japan Web

    (2) Read passport · (2) read passport If you want to scan and enter your passport information, ; (3) Enter your contact information in Japan ; (A) Proceed with

  13. Visa Policy of Japan

    An approved tourist visa for Japan usually permits a total stay of up to 30 days. It is valid for 90 days to enter Japan once from the date of issue.

  14. Japan eVISA Requirements for US Citizens

    All US passport holders visiting Japan require a visa, matter how long they plan to stay or the motive